[BUG] v8.1.5 Importing UDT instances without existing UDT definitions

In the changes from v7 to v8, a change was introduced where importing UDT instances that don’t have an existing UDT definition simply don’t import at all. What makes it worse is that if you import a single UDT instance, an error pops up (okay); if you import multiple UDT instances or combinations of tags however, then no error shows up whatsoever as a prompt or in the designer console - you don’t even know that some tags weren’t imported or which tags failed without looking at the wrapper log (but why would you look at the wrapper log if errors weren’t reported?).

Additionally, if you try to import a UDT definition that has nested UDT instances where the nested instance types don’t exist, the base UDT definition imports however the nested instance(s) are just missing, again with no errors reported in the designer if multiple tags are included. Examples:
UDT Definitions Import. - error.json (498 Bytes)
UDT Definitions Import - no errors.json (711 Bytes)

Previously in v7 these tags would import but their type id would be invalid and you would see errors on the instances. However, you could then go through and import the UDT definitions that were missing and these would then resolve.

Being able to import any tags, regardless if their UDT type exists or not, in my opinion greatly improved workflow. In v8, when errors are simply not reported in the GUI, this leads to frustration in not knowing why your tags are missing until you realise they just simply weren’t imported at all…

My request is that this is changed back to how it use to be, by importing tags regardless if they have an existing UDT type or not and also reporting these issues in a prompt as well as in the designer console. It will save a lot of headaches!

1 Like

I can see how this would be frustrating. We don’t have any plans to allow importing UDT Instances with bad TypeIds, but improving the error messages in these cases is certainly something we should do. We’re also working on a new way to import tags which will provide much better feedback when imports have these types of issues.

Just to clarify, using the Import function produces errors, but using copy/paste to paste the json as tags doesn’t produce the errors when importing multiple tags.

1 Like