Bundled software version policy

What is your policy on the versions of MySQL, MySQL Connector/J and KEPServer you bundle with your software? Do you only update them periodically or do you bundle the latest version available when you change one of your own packages?

It would be helpful if the download page summarised the versions of the bundled software - this way it would be possible to decide whether to install later versions of the other software separately.

We update the bundled software occasionally, certainly we don’t bundle the latest versions with each release. With bundled software, we take more of a “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude.

Currently we are bundling KepServerEX v4.200.353 and MySQL 5.0.45-community-nt.

Is there a reason you asked? Any requests for bundling a new version of something?

I’m finally going to be installing my first system, so I’m torn between the easy install of using the bundled software and the desire to fit the ‘latest and greatest’. Is there a chance for an IA-only bundle for offline installs?

The thing that did stand out is that you seem to be using MySQL Connector/J 3.1.6, when the only Generally Available versions on dev.mysql.com are 5.0.8 and 5.1.5. Is there a particular reason for using this version and will the later versions work OK?

Just choose "Custom" instead of "Typical" and only check our software

3.1.6 works well. The newer one will probably work as well. We don't have the QA resources to put every version of 3rd party software/libraries through rigorous testing, so TIAS (try it and see).

I think in this instance discretion might be the better part of valour. I’ve got into trouble before trying to chase the latest version of software and ended up past the cutting edge and onto the bleeding edge, not the place you want to be…

In fact I say ‘before’ when I actually meant ‘Monday’ :laughing: I updated the firmware on an ADAM-5000/TCP data acquisition module before delivery to a customer (not for any reason, just so it was the latest) and it failed halfway through, leaving me with a very attractive blue plastic brick. :blush:

Yeah, stories like that abound in this field. Glad you understand the rationale behind our ‘policy’ :slight_smile:

Ugh - I recently updated the firmware of a Linksys rack mount NAS “just for the heck of it”, knowing that it’s the “only” dangerous operation, and bricked it! Sucks!

I agree - stick with the version we bundle. You can always look into different versions if you’re dissatisfied with anything specific.

[quote=“AlThePal”]I think in this instance discretion might be the better part of valour. I’ve got into trouble before trying to chase the latest version of software and ended up past the cutting edge and onto the bleeding edge, not the place you want to be…

In fact I say ‘before’ when I actually meant ‘Monday’ :laughing: I updated the firmware on an ADAM-5000/TCP data acquisition module before delivery to a customer (not for any reason, just so it was the latest) and it failed halfway through, leaving me with a very attractive blue plastic brick. :blush:[/quote]