Calling Up the Windows On-Screen Keyboard from Perspective Session

Hi all,

I'm working on user-logins for my current perspective project, and ran into a bit of a hurdle yesterday. I'm trying to allow users to login using an on-screen keyboard in kiosk mode, but perspective doesn't allow logins from anything other than their default login scheme. I made a login window like I would for vision, but there's no scripting options that work with perspective, so I need to use the default. However, I don't have access to the windows OSK unless I allow them access to the rest of windows, which is not acceptable.

So in talking with Ignition support, they recommended I create a bash file to call up the OSK with system.util.execute() . But I'm very unfamiliar with bash files.

So how would I go about calling up the windows OSK from perspective? It doesn't have to be with the method recommended, anything that works will do. Any ideas?

Support misled you. Perspective cannot run a bash file or any other local executable. (Except in the gateway itself.)

Vision can, because it runs locally.

(I'm not sure there's any solution at this time.)

Oh dear. Then how am I supposed to login?!

Is the gateway on the same computer as the kiosk?

It is not.

There should be ways to enable the osk even in kiosk mode... what windows is it?

It's Windows 10. What are the ways to enable it?

You need to add these reg entries

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7\EnableDesktopModeAutoInvoke = 1
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7\DisableNewKeyboardExperience = 1
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\TabletMode = 1
4 Likes

OK, so that kind of worked, but I had to use the second method (scheduling a task to write the registry entries on windows user login).

However, now I have a new problem. The keyboard is overzealous, and pops up whenever I click into ANY field. Numeric, dropdowns, text, it doesn't matter. It's really getting in the way. I'm not sure that this solution really works well for what I need. It's fine temporarily, but it can't be like this long-term.

Its not possible to not let it show up on "some" input fields...
If you dont want those fields to be edited dont use input components

For the dropdowns you probably have search enabled, disabling search should help i think