Can I view which scripts are writing on a tag?

Hello,

I am very new to Ingnition and coding with Phyton. Yet, I need to take over a project that someone have left 90% finished. To be able to do this, I want to understand what the previous person did. To do that, I want to see which scripts are changing values of certain tags.

Is there a way to do this? Like, when I go to the details of a tag, can I see which scripts are writing on it?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. You’d have to include some sort of logging from within your scripts. Maybe do a CTRL+F to search scripts for keywords in the designer.

1 Like

You are correct.

There is no built-in way to track what scripts are writing to a specific tag. The Find and Replace tool (ctrl+f in the designer) could be searched for the specific tag path. If the tag paths are hardcoded as strings in the script the Find and Replace tool could find them.

@Sina_Toru Since you are interesting in finding scripts that are doing specifically tag writes, you can use the find and replace tool to search for all functions that can perform a tag write. This would help identify scripts where the tag paths are dynamically built (and therefore couldn’t be searched as a string).

The functions that are likely being used and should be searched for are found on this user manual page: system.tag - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation

The main functions I would recommend searching for are: system.tag.writeBlocking, system.tag.writeAsync, system.tag.write, system.tag.writeAll

1 Like

Thank you very much!