Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Communications link failure)

Hello everyone,
I am new to both SQL and Ignition and I am using Ignition V8.1.6 on a Windows10 64bit platform and I am using mysql-connector-java-8.0.25.

When I’m trying to configure a database for MySQL JDBC Driver, Connector/J, I get this error:

"Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Communications link failure The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.)"

This is also the additional error message in the box:

" java.sql.SQLException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Communications link failure
Caused by: com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure
Caused by: com.mysql.cj.exceptions.CJCommunicationsException: Communications link failure
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect "

When I created my database I did not change any settings and I did not assign any username and password and only added a name for the database!

Does anyone know how can I fix this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

That means Ignition never even got to submit any username, as the database isn't listening. If the DB is on a separate machine, you need to configure MySQL to listen to more than just localhost.

After you fix that, you will certainly need to ensure Ignition is using a user name and password that exists in your database.

Thank you for your response! DB is not on a separate machine.

I got it working based on the information on the manual, I had to set up some extra things in my SQL workbench.
https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC80/Installing+MySQL

1 Like

Seems like the biggest aspects not covered in the ignition university connect to MySQL video is:

1. why we must have the user name as root(explained in solution link)
    &
  2. Setting up a scheme to be used directly to ignition.(explained in solution link)

I am curious for the certification will this be acceptable as a setup or is ignition requiring something else.

If you have a question about the certification test, you should email training @ inductiveautomation.com and ask.

1 Like