Cannot determine a valid JAVA HOME

After a recent (automatic) update to Java, I noticed that my desktop shortcuts no longer work, but rather generate a "cannot determine a valid JAVA HOME" error message. Running the jnlp file from the Ignition homepage still works (and generates a new desktop shortcut which doesn't)
In looking for an answer, I following Oracle's advice and checked for a %JAVA_HOME% system variable. It didn't exist, so I created it, and added it and %JAVA_HOME%\bin to the path variable. Now, from the cmd line, the "test", as given by the article, appears to work:

C:\Users>java -version
java version "1.8.0_241"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_241-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.241-b07, mixed mode)

C:\Users>

Anyone know what happened? A fix? I was expecting JRE, not SE Runtime, but, as I mentoned above - Ignition said my java was out of date, so I clicked "Update" and let it do it's thing.... and here I am.

Java SE Runtime Environment is a JRE; it's distinguishing itself from Java EE (Enterprise Edition). As for as what the Java installer did, and why you lost the JAVA_HOME assignment, that's entirely up to Oracle's Java installer. Quirks like that are part of the reason we updated to shipping our own Java runtime in 8.0.

Minor point - Java itself said your Java was out of date; Ignition only cares about the major version (Java 8/Java 11); any 'Your Java installation is out of date' popup is coming from the runtime itself. We don't have any code that checks for specific minor versions of Java releases.

Good point, minor maybe, but valid. It popped up when I launched the designer, which, of course, triggered Java. I wasn’t blaming Ignition - that’s why I posted here rather than submitting a support ticket. I figured someone in the community must have run into this.
With all this “downtime”, maybe I’ll be able to work out all the changes I need to make to make the switch to V8! (though I seem to be busier than ever!)

1 Like

Step one is get rid of all JNLP files. They don't work and will never work with v8. Newer versions of java do not support them, so IA can't support them either.

Use the native client launchers for Vision.

Yeah, that’s kinda the problem… the native client launcher doesn’t work anymore - see topic. Not to mention launching is the least of my concern with V8… but again, that’s another topic.

Did you create it as a local user environment variable, or for the whole system?

What version of Ignition is this? 7.9 something, but you're still using the "legacy" client launchers that use system Java. If you're able to upgrade to 7.9...10? or later, the launchers have an embedded Java 9 runtime, so you also get to avoid the Java update runaround.

2 Likes

7.9.9… in looking through the release notes, I see no reason that we can’t upgrade to .13
Thanks! I’ll take that 'fix"!