Cannot launch project or designer

I just setup a new system, it is on a dedicated automation LAN, Win7. I can launch the designer remotely fine, but cannot on the local system.

I get a java popup saying “FATAL - no home directory”, then nothing, designer or project will not launch. Any ideas? The user logged in is a local user and full admin. The PC is part of a domain, but not logging into the domain currently. I will try another browser, next week, but I am first wondering if anything else is going on.

This means that your Ignition is running properly, so you need to look at other things first. Are you using any form of antivirus? If so, turn it off and try to launch a client.

Also, you can look at the versions of Java on your system. The Ignition service isn't necessarily using the same version of Java as the client.

I disabled anti-virus and still no luck. Also tried launch from Chrome, and no luck.

Checked java and have 1.6.0_31 x64

If you type “java -version” into a command prompt, what does it say? You might not have Java on the path.

Java comes back with the JVM and Java server versions.

[code]Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\vision>java -version
java version “1.6.0_31”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)

C:\Users\vision>[/code]

Make a desktop shortcut manually and see if you are still getting the error. It sounds like something is wrong with your Java installation.

How to here.

Still not working with the manual link. Same error popup.

I also tried completely re-installing Java, with no change. I have also tried both Java 6 & 7.

Also tried a complete reinstall of ignition with no luck as well. I tried to launch the javaws in verbose, and got the attached output.

[quote=“ryanjmclaughlin”]Still not working with the manual link. Same error popup.

I also tried completely re-installing Java, with no change. I have also tried both Java 6 & 7.[/quote]

When you created the manual link, did you just type in a path for javaws, or did you browse to it?

When you re-installed Java, did you remove all of the versions of Java before installing the new one? That means stopping the Ignition service first. That error is coming from Java, not Ignition. It sounds like your Java installation is broken. Uninstall ALL versions of Java, then reinstall only one. Since you are on a Windows 7 machine, make sure you run everything as administrator (right-click and select Run as Administrator).

After two hours of working with one of our IT guys, it is finally working!

Turns out there is a bug in one of our PC builds with the registry. This is also a bug with Java, that is looks at a specific registry location to set the shortcuts, rather than checking the system variables. There is more details here bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4787931 After blowing away a few bad registry directories, everything is working.