Cannot load JDBC driver class 'sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver'

Upgraded to 7.7 and Java 8 and everything worked great but the JDBC-ODBC Bridge. It is no longer functioning.

I came across a forum that stated that Java 8 Removed the JDBC-ODBC.

Here is the error reported on our JDBC-ODBC Connection.

org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot load JDBC driver class ‘sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver’
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1136)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.getConnectionInternal(DatasourceImpl.java:199)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.runTest(DatasourceImpl.java:155)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceManagerImpl$FaultedDatasourceRetryer$1.run(DatasourceManagerImpl.java:1144)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$TrackedTask.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:573)
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1130)
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.getConnectionInternal(DatasourceImpl.java:199)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceImpl.runTest(DatasourceImpl.java:155)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.DatasourceManagerImpl$FaultedDatasourceRetryer$1.run(DatasourceManagerImpl.java:1144)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$TrackedTask.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:573)
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks,
James Lutz

It is official from the Oracle Site: JDBC-ODBC is gone from Java 8.

docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/te … ridge.html

It looks like those relying on ODBC will need to find an alternative. A quick search has turned up two candidates, one commercial and one open source:

easysoft.com/products/data_a … tion=tab-1

ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html

Thanks for the Response Kevin.

The DB is not an access DB, will that matter. It is Sage MAS200.

I do have a support ticket open for this as well.

Not sure if it will matter… it’s probably going to be the kind of thing where we need to try both drivers and hope for the best.

Ok i have the free one downloaded…now what?

Here is a link to Sages available drivers:

pvxplus.com/pgsrvr.pvp?pg=dl_optional

Will anything there possibly work?

Thanks,

James

Can anyone help get this resolved?

You’ll need to install one of those JDBC drivers and then try to make a new database connection using one of the drivers.

There’s a bit in the manual about installing a JDBC driver: inductiveautomation.com/sup … htsub=jdbc

If you can’t get that working support might be able to help you out a bit with it.

Hi

I need use a Jdbc driver to connect MS Access mdb file with Ignition 7.7x
Has anyone used a reliable solution?

I tried to import the “ucanaccess” driver ( ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html) but I have always the “faulted” message on the gateway.

Have you a print screen where show the correctly setting of the driver in the gateway?

Every suggestion is very appreciated!

Best regards

Andrea