Can't connect to OPC Server

Hello,

I am fairly new to Ignition and I am trying to connect to an OPC Server that is at another location from me but cannot establish a connection for the life of me. Let me explain my situation, Ignition gateway was set up at a different location from where I am at now by someone else (Location 1). I am logging into Ignition from my plant (Location 2) and trying to connect to an OPC Server in a different plant (Location 3). I know that the OPC Server is up and running since I was able to connect to it using UaExpert and read some tags but I cannot get Ignition to connect to it. At first the timezones were misaligned but I got that corrected but still no connection. When I go to OPC Connections to see the connection status it says " Could not open secure channel to opc.tcp://....."
I will paste what the Errors are from the OPC Connection status and also attach a screenshot of the logger error. I have been stuck on this for some time so anything helps. I am using Ignition 7.7

Thank you

com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.stack.TCPClientChannel.open(TCPClientChannel.java:265)
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.stack.UaClient.connect(UaClient.java:65)
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.OpcUaConnection.verifyConnectionState(OpcUaConnection.java:142)
com.inductiveautomation.xopc.client.FailoverAwareOpcUaConnection.verifyConnectionState(FailoverAwareOpcUaConnection.java:75)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OPCManagerImpl$ServerWrapper.verifyConnectionState(OPCManagerImpl.java:742)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OPCManagerImpl$OPCConnectionKeepalive.run(OPCManagerImpl.java:618)
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$TrackedTask.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:573)
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Have you verified your router and IP subnets are correct all the way through the network? Can you ping the OPC server from the machine the gateway is on?

Ryan,

I am unable to physically check that since the location of the Machine that the Gateway is on is in another state. I will have to get someone that is there to check that for me but it is worth a shot.
Thank you

Just realized something. If I am able to log into the ignition gateway from my computer AND ping the IP that is assigned to that computer, that should mean it is on the same network as the OPC Server since I am also able to ping that from my computer, correct?

It's possible. It depends on how the router is setup and if VLANs are used, but it doesn't hurt to try!

If you can ping, I'd look at firewall settings next. There will be specific ports you will need to be able to communicate using that will need to be opened. Some examples for Ignition ports are below

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC81/Gateway+Port+Reference

I found the issue. I had enabled "Allow Anonymous Access" but always had Security Policy and Message Security Mode set to default, once I changed those to None I was able to get connected.

2 Likes