Chart in report is ignoring grouping

Customer has Ignition v7.9.14. I am modifying a report to add a Timeseries chart. Report elements above and below the chart in the report hierarchy all use the grouping as expect to display the appropriate subsets of data for the group, but the Timeseries chart shows ALL the data and is ignoring the grouping.

I tried a Bar Chart and it also ignores the grouping. Is this a known bug, or expected behavior for chart components? Is it fixed in a later version of Ignition v7.9?

Or is there something extra that needs to be done regarding chart components and report grouping?

I saw another forum entry on this same topic from years ago, but there was no reply.

Thank you for any information/assistance,
Bob

This is working as expected for me in a bar chart and XY chart in 8.1.x:

I'm not aware of any bugs related to this. Can you provide some more details about how you've got your report set up? You're using a table, with unstructured rows? What do the data keys look like on the chart inside the table?

This is Ignition v7.9.14. I am using unstructured columns in the Row Details.

I am including an image of report component hierarchy and the grouping. Below that is an image of the Data Key and Grouping, followed by images of the property settings of related components. Let me know if some other information would be helpful.

Last is an image of the report where the "Cask Name" ("Name" from the Data Key) is shown for that page, and the data in the table along with Alarm Setpoints values is properly just for the HI10 cask. But the chart data is for all casks selected for the report, not just HI10.

The Timeseries Chart is the component that is ignoring the grouping. All the other components above and below the chart are properly grouping the data by the "Name".

Data being the key name for the table and the report seems like it might be the problem?
In my simple example above, the parent query is used for the table, and the subquery is used for the chart:

I should have mentioned that the data for the report is being supplied by a report Parameter that is a dataset. The dataset is passed to the report parameter from a window that allows the end user to select report criteria.

So basically I want each chart to display the data from the dataset parameter based on 'Name' field in dataset. Is there a way to do that? Can I do something with the configureChart script that I can use a field in the datasource to get the subset of data? I have done a lot with Ignition but am struggling with this one.

Perhaps I need to create a dataset from a query Datasource instead, then use the configureChart script to get a subset based on the @Name@ parameter? Seems like that would be redundant since I already have the data in the dataset parameter, but if that is the only way to do it, then I would do that.

You can use a script to split your dataset up into properly nested subquery results. That's probably the cleanest integration into the rest of reporting.

Ok, it seemed as though I could only use a script on a query datasource and not a dataset parameter.

Do you know of a specific example for doing this with a dataset parameter that you could point me to?

I don't have a complete example, but this post from Phil should be a good starting point:

In a script data source you have access to all report parameters and any report data sources defined "above" your script.

1 Like