Checking if network is working properly with SNMP

Hello,

From a previous formation on Ignition (a few years ago...) I was remembering that it was possible to connect to switches or such with SNMP to read information from compatible device but I cannot find any information about this.

In my specific case, we have a network in ring configuration, 4 switches compatible SNMP, with RSTP set-up and I would like to now if the switches a connected and alive and if not, I would like to raise an alarm or show a warning on Vision.

• Is it still possible?
  • Does it require a module?
  • How does it work?

Best regards !

I think kepware/top server has an opc driver for snmp. That might be the easiest point and click method.

It would probably be easiest to use a module. Here's a 3rd party module:

Also:

I guess it would be possible to do it without a module... quick google search reveals some snmp python libraries, but I've never messed with them.

2 Likes

Hum, I was remembering something more integrated than that but I guess I am misremembering...
Well, I will try the free module as I don't want anything too complicated.

Thanks for the answers !

Hello,

Just to inform that I have use the free module. It is simple but it work once you have understood how snmp works.

Thanks to all the answers.

Which free module are you referring to?

The module mentioned here:

Ah I didn't see that. The Kymera module is probably the integrated solution you mentioned. It exposes devices as a OPC device, so you can use the data in tags.

1 Like