Choosing embedded Linux box for OPC-UA server

Hi

We are choosing platform for Ignition OPC-UA server in embedded sector.
Is there any minimum requirements which we could check?

We want to use “small” embedded Linux box as OPC-UA server in remote locations and connect gateway directly over OPC-UA.

BR
Tommi Vahtera
THT Control Oy

We have one of these in the office.

The specs are pretty impressive and we’ve installed Ignition on it but it’s never seen the field so I can’t comment on that. We configured it with the slower Intel Atom CPU (higher max operating temp) and 2GB of ram running Wind River, the embedded linux distro it comes with.

We also have a little Moxa box that works well.

As far as specs go I’d shoot for 512mb to 1gb ram (Ignition is a bit RAM-hungry), and a stripped down linux distro. An x86 architecture would be nice, but I think there are ARM JREs now too that you might try. Haven’t tried them out yet though.

Carl,

Will the java service wrapper work on an ARM processor? I’ve been eyeing the gumstix as a potential platform for running lightweight applications. I could see them being used as a handheld vision panel or remote data logger. They are still a little light on RAM, though.

http://gumstix.com/

Dan

Doesn’t look like JSW has an ARM port, but you can just start the Gateway directly by invoking Java.

Carl / Kevin,

Do you have any more info on the helios / moxa devices (price, caveats, etc)? Does the atom processor work with the JSW or do you invoke java directly? I’m wondering if we could use them or something similar as an inexpensive way to deploy large hub and spoke applications across multiple facilities.

Thanks,

Dan

[quote=“dep05d”]Carl / Kevin,

Do you have any more info on the helios / moxa devices (price, caveats, etc)? Does the atom processor work with the JSW or do you invoke java directly? I’m wondering if we could use them or something similar as an inexpensive way to deploy large hub and spoke applications across multiple facilities.

Thanks,

Dan[/quote]

The Atom processor is great because it’s just standard x86 architecture. Bonus: the helios we have is a dual-core Atom, however I don’t know if all Atoms are dual-core or not. Will have to get back to you on the price though, I can’t remember offhand.

Atom come in single and dual core. See here for more information.

SuperMicro makes some sweet Atom based rackmount servers. We use them for routers, as communication protocol gateways, and small Ignition installs. This is the one we use
supermicro.com/products/syst … .cfm?typ=E

A whole server with 4GB ram and a 500 GB HD can be had for ~ $500. Great value.

That is nice Kyle.

It’s a couple months away and it won’t be cheap, but if you need a hardened server that can be exposed to wild temperature swings and pc killing environments, we are building an atom based PC card that plugs into this. And yes it will definitively run Ignition because that what I’m going to do with it.