Client not launching in Google Chrome

I am new to ignition and attempting to run client launcher from Google Chrome. the launcher window opens fine but when I try to launch an individual client all I get is the .jnlp script to run the client. I can run the client from our local client launcher with no issues but not from Chrome. Our ignition is 7.9.11. I get no errors or warnings. Not sure where to start.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Launching with a JNLP is not using a client launcher. JNLP is “Webstart”, which was deprecated long ago, and is no longer supported in java. You will have to make sure to use a version of java that still has the “javaws” executable. And plan to wean yourself from the launch-by-web-link infrastructure, as it is entirely gone in Ignition v8.

Just to confirm, you should be using the Native Client Launcher to launch your clients and designer sessions, not the links available on the gateway homepage.

Thank you for the reply, makes sense to not use the web launcher if it won’t be supported by the next version. The only reason I was attempting to use that is because the resolution on the native client launcher does not fit my screen. I find myself having to scroll vertically and horizontally to access menus or to see the whole screen. I was told that this was the result of some sort of upgrade done prior to me working here. Are there options for adjusting resolution on the native launcher?

This sounds more like a monitor resolution issue. The size of the client launcher window is 752 x 652.

Makes me wonder what sort of ‘upgrade’ happened here. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I may have not worded that correctly. So the actual launcher screen fits fine within my laptop screen but the Home page that I directs me to or launches is much larger than my screen. my res is 1920 x 1080. I have went down with resolution and back up with no effect on the client screen.

I’m reading this as the project itself doesn’t scale down to 1920 x 1080 (correct me if I’m mistaken).

If that’s the case, then someone (bless their hearts) didn’t correctly set the minimum screen size of the project.

1 Like

I looked at the designer file and under user interface the minimum is set to 1920 x 1080. Also on launching the width and height is set to the same. Not sure where else to look so far. Still researching this.

There it is. Any window borders or other edge artifacts are not taken into account. As a personal rule, I set my minimum size to 10 x 10 lower than the smallest size I need to support.

So I have changed the minimum size to 120 by 80 for the interface. I saved and published. When I reopen the client it still looks the same. I even changed the launcher settings for screen size to some smaller values and this doesn’t seem to have any effect either. Sorry for the noob questions. I have been using Factory Talk SE for quite some time but Ignition is new territory for myself.

So, there’s two potential problems. Jordan identified one - the minimum screen size for the entire project.

Here’s the really bad news - if you open one of the particular windows in the designer, it’s probably going to be specifically set to exactly 1920x1080. This is a really common mistake people make when designing windows - targeting an exact resolution so that they can lay components out “pixel perfect”. Unfortunately, as Jordan points out, a 1920x1080 resolution doesn’t actually mean you have 1920x1080 usable pixels all the time, unless you run every client fullscreen all the time.

If what I suspect is the case is true (that the window itself was designed at exactly 1920x1080), there’s no “good” fix. You can try simply selecting every component in the designer, then shrinking them down by, say, 10%, then resizing the window dimensions themselves accordingly. Unfortunately, this will not work properly if anything is in ‘anchored’ layout mode. Outside of that, there’s no real fix, besides manually rearranging the components to fit a smaller size.

It's definitely worth investing in a larger resolution monitor. I pushed it with my company to go to a 2560x1440 monitor so I can properly develop 1920x1080/1200 screens without having to scroll around all the time.

I think this is a fair assumption for any SCADA project. Most clients are dedicated machines