Combining Databases with Conditions

I have two databases that I am trying to combine into a single table. I am trying to accomplish what is shown in table "dbA + dbB":

Basically, I would like "dbA + dbB" to populate based on the status in "dbB" equal to "Accepted". But also show when the time slots are empty.

The code I am using is:

SELECT *
FROM dbA
left join dbB on dbA.timeSlot = dbB.timeSlot
where dbB.status = "Accepted"

And my code outputs:

I'm sure that there is a fairly simple answer, but I just cannot figure this out... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

You have to put the status check into a subquery, and left join against that instead of directly on table B.

(Terminology note: In English, you use "DB" for a collection of tables, not just one table.)

So how would that be written? I understand the concept, just not sure how to code that. Also, thank you for the terminology tips.

Something like this:

SELECT tableA.TimeSlot, filteredB.Status, filteredB."First Name", filteredB.Last Name¨
FROM tableA
LEFT JOIN (
    SELECT *
    FROM tableB
    WHERE Status = 'Accepted'
) filteredB on tableA.TimeSlot = filteredB.TimeSlot

Note the explicit output columns. The general asterisk can cause problems when there are duplicate column names across a join.

2 Likes

That works perfect, thank you!

Alternatively, how could I structure a separate query to output available time slots? My plan is to then have a dropdown list that is bound to that query so that the user is able to schedule during an available time.

Add WHERE filteredB.TimeSlot IS NULL to the end of the query.

1 Like