Connecting to Microsoft Flight Sim 2020

I want to develop some screens to control things like, parking brake, afterburner, panel switches and knobs. So I need a way to read and right from MSFS to Ignition tags.

Sounds like I need a driver? I don't really know where to begin.

Thanks

This is a fun idea, but there's some serious hurdles. MS appears to only support C, C++, and C#, or at minimum, a "native" executable. Java probably can make the function calls needed, but it takes some serious dev effort that is probably not worth it.

Probably more fruitful, if you really want to pursue this, would be writing an addon in C# that then in turn communicates a protocol that Ignition can understand, such as OPC UA.

1 Like

If you're going to go down this road, you could simply build the whole UI right there.

Visual Studio is what I use for C# development. The community edition is free, and it's not too difficult to figure out. Here is the download link:

Hi,
Some project exist to convert the simconnect api to rest api. maybe that's the way to go.

These all sound like great starting points. But, like I said in the begining I don't even know where to begin. To that end I don't even know what words to google to get started or what options there are.

From this thread I know have:
MS uses C, C++, or C#
and the API for flightsim is called simconnect api.

What about making Ignition report as a USB device?

here is a bit that might be useful

1 Like