Connection path for allen bradley compact logix

Im having trouble connecting to a compact logix 1769-L32E through a network address translation device:

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Networks-and-Communications/Network-Address-Translation-Device

I have tried a number of different connection paths. my allen bradley rep sent me the following:

[quote]The MSG path for the new CompactLogix 5370 Controllers has been simplified compared to the L23E, L32E and L35E CompactLogix controllers.

To specify the Ethernet port on the L23E, L32E and L35E CompactLogix controllers a 1, 1, 2 needed to be entered in the beginning portion of the MSG path (this would then be displayed as a LocalENB, 2).
When using the new CompactLogix 5370 Controllers all that needs to be specified is a 2 at the start followed be the remaining targets path. An example of a valid MSG path to a MicroLogix 1400 (with an IP address of 192.168.1.1), directly connected, would simply be 2, 192.168.1.1.
When the new CompactLogix 5370 Controller is the target in the MSG path then the last element of the path is the IP address of the CompactLogix 5370 Controller. There is no need to add the “, 1, 0” at the end of the path to specify the controller as with the L4x/L4xS/L3x/L2x controllers.
If a project is converted from a L23E, L32E or L35E CompactLogix to the new CompactLogix 5370 Controllers all Ethernet MSG paths will need to be modified to reflect this change or else the MSG’s will error out.
[/quote]

I have tried 1,1,2 & 1,1,2,192.168.200.130 among many others but nothing seems to work.

can anyone tell me what the correct connection path would be?

I’m a little confused by your post. The reference quote looks like the configuration needed for an MSG instruction in the PLC logic to send data back and forth between PLCs

Because you posted in this section of the forum, I am wondering if you are trying to connect to Ignition? Or, are you just looking for direction on PLC-PLC comms using MSG instructions?

im trying to connect to ignition per the user manual section titled "Allen Bradley Connection Paths Explained "

I cant seem to figure out the correct connection path.

OK, I think I understand your confusion.

If you are using a ControlLogix Backplane as a gateway to another device then you have to mess with the path. If you just need to connect to your CompactLogix over ethernet with it’s IP address, all you should need to do is enter the IP address.

Based your diagram, were is the Ignition Gateway located? Does it sit on the Company Network side? Therefore the NAT device is translating your PLC address of 192.168.200.130 to something else…say 10.10.200.130?

If your gateway is on the PLC 192.168.200.130 network then just put in 192.168.200.130 no connection path. If it’s on the company network, put in 10.10.200.130 (for this example), no connection path.

[quote=“Paullys50”]OK, I think I understand your confusion.

If you are using a ControlLogix Backplane as a gateway to another device then you have to mess with the path. If you just need to connect to your CompactLogix over ethernet with it’s IP address, all you should need to do is enter the IP address.

Based your diagram, were is the Ignition Gateway located? Does it sit on the Company Network side? Therefore the NAT device is translating your PLC address of 192.168.200.130 to something else…say 10.10.200.130?

If your gateway is on the PLC 192.168.200.130 network then just put in 192.168.200.130 no connection path. If it’s on the company network, put in 10.10.200.130 (for this example), no connection path.[/quote]

the ignition gateway is on the company network side. you’re correct the NAT is translating PLC address of 192.168.200.130 to 10.31.48.110

so i put 10.31.48.110 as the hostname and tried leaving the connection path blank but I am still unable to connect.

Why isn’t anything plugged into the “Local” ethernet port? Shouldn’t that be where you plug the switch/PLC into?

ahh you spotted that… I realized that shortly after I posted the question - It has been plugged into the local port but I still cannot connect

I think this post helps to figure out the path. https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC79/ENBT+Example
(I just added this in case someone else have the same issue we had)