Connection to Contrologix keeps dropping out

upgraded customer’s install to V7.5.7 last April, then to V7.5.10.
Noticed since upgrading V7.5.7 connection to Clgx randomly drops out for about 5 seconds,

[attachment=3]ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 22 17.57.jpg[/attachment]

attached is the log file

[attachment=2]logs.bin.gz[/attachment]

Trying to troubleshoot, and noticed Stratix 8000 managed switch is reporting packet loss on the port Ignition is connected to. Would packet errors cause the above problems?

Port Problem Report on Port #5

[attachment=1]printframe.pdf[/attachment]

Packet error report on Port #5

[attachment=0]printframe1.pdf[/attachment]

Well… it certainly could. From Ignition’s point of view it seems like the other end is the one closing the socket.

Other than that, you might check how many concurrent requests you’ve configured the logix driver to use, then check the logix web status page for the device you’re connected to and make sure you’re not running up against the connection limit or something.

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]Well… it certainly could. From Ignition’s point of view it seems like the other end is the one closing the socket.

Other than that, you might check how many concurrent requests you’ve configured the logix driver to use, then check the logix web status page for the device you’re connected to and make sure you’re not running up against the connection limit or something.[/quote]

This Clgx rack has two ethernet cards, 1756-ENBT and 1756-EWEB. Ignition was pointing to the EWEB, that also had 6 PV1000+ connected. I pointed Ignition to the 1756-ENBT that has 6 Etherent/IP point IO racks ( Each rack with only 2 IO cards) and the problem still persisted. ENBT utilization was only at 15% with Ignition connected and the number of connections well within allowed limits.

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]Well… it certainly could. From Ignition’s point of view it seems like the other end is the one closing the socket.

Other than that, you might check how many concurrent requests you’ve configured the logix driver to use, then check the logix web status page for the device you’re connected to and make sure you’re not running up against the connection limit or something.[/quote]

This is the configuration of the Clgx driver
this is from project backup on my laptop, that is why device is disabled

[attachment=0]ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 22 19.45.jpg[/attachment]

Question would be then why is Clgx closing the socket connection to Ignition?

I have 6 PVs and 6 Ethernet/IP IO drops connected to the same PLC through the same flaky ethernet connection. When a PV+ has a communication loss an alert status bar pops up on the PV+ . During the Ignition timeouts , there are no such pop ups on the PVs.

If what you are saying is true, then the Clgx is closing the connection to Ignition only. That eliminates hardware issues.

I don’t know why, or if it’s the logix closing the connection, or it’s some kind of network problem.

All I know is that the driver is being told by the underlying socket the connection has been closed, reset, etc… (depends on the exception).

I think changing the port on the managed switch that Ignition is plugged into is a good place to start, seeing as your tools are reporting packet loss on that port…

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]I don’t know why, or if it’s the logix closing the connection, or it’s some kind of network problem.

All I know is that the driver is being told by the underlying socket the connection has been closed, reset, etc… (depends on the exception).

I think changing the port on the managed switch that Ignition is plugged into is a good place to start, seeing as your tools are reporting packet loss on that port…[/quote]

Thanks,
This is an out of town job and I have now left the site. I have asked the customer to replace the ethernet cable. In the mean time , I am going to duplicate the setup in my office and see if I simulate the issue by messing around with the ethernet connections. I also have a Stratix switch in my office, so I will see if maybe it is something the Stratix is initiating.

[quote=“Curlyandshemp”][quote=“Kevin.Herron”]I don’t know why, or if it’s the logix closing the connection, or it’s some kind of network problem.

I think changing the port on the managed switch that Ignition is plugged into is a good place to start, seeing as your tools are reporting packet loss on that port…[/quote]

Thanks,
This is an out of town job and I have now left the site. I have asked the customer to replace the ethernet cable. In the mean time , I am going to duplicate the setup in my office and see if I simulate the issue by messing around with the ethernet connections. I also have a Stratix switch in my office, so I will see if maybe it is something the Stratix is initiating.[/quote]

I have duplicated this in my office and see the same error messages if I briefly unplug the etherent connection from the managed switch.
This eliminates the gateway.

[attachment=0]ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 27 13.54.jpg[/attachment]