Controllin C# application from Ignition

Hello,
I have one ftp downloader written on C#. What is the best way to communicate with downloader through Ignition? I would like only to send command, like flag to start ftp session.

Hi,

That’s really going to depend on what interfaces the C# application makes available. In other words, what mechanisms does it provide to “send a command”?

The most likely scenario that I can think of is that the application may have a variety of command line flags that can be set in order to perform an operation. In other words, it wouldn’t be a two way dialog, but instead Ignition calling the application with parameters such as “connect to this server, download this file”. In that case, you could launch the application with the system.util.execute() scripting function.

Regards,

Hi,
application does not need to be excecuted, it is running all the time.
It can monitor opc server, database or windows service and so on, depends on what I will implement. I am just wondering what is the best way.
I was thinking about socket connection, because monitoring database is a lot of queries and wasting cpu and ram. Is it possible to build socket connection from Ignition?

[quote=“quper”]Hi,
application does not need to be excecuted, it is running all the time.
It can monitor opc server, database or windows service and so on, depends on what I will implement. I am just wondering what is the best way.
I was thinking about socket connection, because monitoring database is a lot of queries and wasting cpu and ram. Is it possible to build socket connection from Ignition?[/quote]

Sure, you can open a Socket from a gateway/client/event/whatever script: docs.python.org/release/2.5.2/li … ocket.html

Thank you!