Converting .csv to .xml

I am having difficulties importing my existing tags from a 3rd party application (RSView32). When I export the tag database from the 3rd party .csv is the only option, and when I attempt to import the .csv file into Ignition it is not a recognized .csv format. Is converting the .csv file to a .xml file the only way to import my file, due to the old format from the 3rd party application? If so how do I go about doing that, as I have very little knowledge when it comes to working within the .csv and .xml files.

Thanks in advance for any input.

There is no ability as far as I am aware to do a direct import of a RSview32 tag export.

You will need to reformat the csv file with the correct columns and rows to be able to import into ignition.

Ignition V7.6 excepts both CSV and XML, so if you are more savvy with Excel then I would go that way.

I found the easiest method was to create some tags that are simular to what you have in RSview32 then export that out as a template. This will need to be done in V7.5 to get a CSV export.

To work with XML create some tags in V7.6 and export to get the template.

Thanks for your response. Looks like I have a lot of work on my hands!

[quote]There is no ability as far as I am aware to do a direct import of a RSview32 tag export.

You will need to reformat the csv file with the correct columns and rows to be able to import into ignition.

Ignition V7.6 excepts both CSV and XML, so if you are more savvy with Excel then I would go that way.

I found the easiest method was to create some tags that are simular to what you have in RSview32 then export that out as a template. This will need to be done in V7.5 to get a CSV export.

To work with XML create some tags in V7.6 and export to get the template.[/quote]

0sm0’s suggestion is going to be the way to attack this issue.

Greg —

Here is my problem for you in this regard. We are developing a project here at the shop (using 7.6.2) and attempting to transfer our work to another site (which uses 7.5.9). When we export tags from 7.6.2, it is in XML format. When we want to import those tags to the 7.5.9 version, it requests/requires it to be in CSV. How do we work around this?

[quote=“ronlund”]Greg —

Here is my problem for you in this regard. We are developing a project here at the shop (using 7.6.2) and attempting to transfer our work to another site (which uses 7.5.9). When we export tags from 7.6.2, it is in XML format. When we want to import those tags to the 7.5.9 version, it requests/requires it to be in CSV. How do we work around this?[/quote]

It’s generally not a good idea to develop a project in a newer version than it will be deployed on. SQLTags exports will not be your only compatibility problem.

Here was my solution if it can be of any help:

I ended up taking my computer with ignition to the site and pulling the tags directly from the PLC devices into Ignition. This saved me the trouble of having to reformat the .csv and .xml files.

Not sure if this is an option for you, but my suggestion would be to take the computer with the older version to wherever the newer version is pulling the tags from and try to upload the tags directly from the device.

Good Luck!

1 Like