Copy and paste is not working in the Designer

Hello,
After working with designer about 1 to 2 hours the copy and paste of objects or views in perspective doesn’t work untill I close the designer and open it again.
For example after I copy something the paste option in content menu is disable.

I saw this bug from 8.1.4 and still in 8.1.7 we have it.
This bug some how repeatable and you only have toto work with designer for about 1 hour to see this happen.

yeah… copy less at a time i the only thing that helps

i dont think the hours matter, just the quantity

Anything in the logs, Nader?

No nothing related. May also quantity of work is matter here too.
It is hard to tell what cause this.

Okay. Is it something that happens on a particular view? Any more information that you can provide to help us replicate the issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

This will happen in any view, that user does a lot of engineering like deep select by double-clicking, cut and paste, writing script, … and leave the designer open for a long time.
I believe the only way to see this bug is to work and think with the designer as an integrator and not the developer.
The integrator may do the repeated task over and over for a long period of time. You have to assign someone for that.

Ive had this when i copied a whole bunch of labels and text fields.
I had to restart the desinger and move them in two times instead of all at once.

It might have been into a different container.

I also see the play + icon doesn’t appear for array properties when you hover mouse over property name.

I don't know if this issue has been addressed, but it still occurs in Ignition Platform version 8.1.28 (b2023060110). It seems to get worse as my project gets larger and larger, but the Designer will get to a point where it disables certain features. When right clicking on an object or when right clicking the name in the Project Browser, the following features are greyed out: cut, copy, paste, paste & replace, and delete. Strangely, duplicate is not greyed out and still functions properly. Keyboard shortcuts do not work either.

My use case as an integrator is what was previously described, I copy and paste quite a bit and I leave Designer running for long (1-5 days) periods of time. To fix the issue I have to close my Designer instance and reopen it. When I have multiple projects open in multiple instances, the problem is exacerbated. It also occurs to every instance at the same time and I have to reopen every one to fix the problem.

1 Like

That's concerning. Sorry to hear. Please DM me with some logs so that we can investigate this further. Consider using the Designer's Diagnostic's logging level tool located within the help app bar menu item. From there set com.teamdev.jxbrowser and com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer to trace. That should generate enough logs for us to begin diagnosing the problem. Thanks!

Still present in 8.1.33 but resolving is better (close all views and re-open).
Copy/Pasting a component within the same View works as expected. Pasting to another View is sometimes buggy (can't reproduce at will). When it stops working I notice Paste is greyed out if I try to copy/paste a label to another View. However, Paste & Replace isn't greyed out and works as expected.

I see from time to time when copy and paste is not working, you need simply toggle preview mode(F5) to fix it.

1 Like