Countdown Timer

Might sound crazy but looking to display a countdown or count up timer based upon a tag change. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

If you have a start and finishing timestamp, I would think that using one of these expressions would suffice - *Between - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation

Thanks, any ideas on how to write the script or expression?

Need a bit more information on your setup and exact end goal, not sure what you are doing but assuming you have a tag that is a date type representing the end time, you could do something like

secondsBetween(now(100), {path.to.tag2}) would should show the number of seconds from the current moment until your expected end time stamp. This would update every 100 milliseconds based on the parameter fed to now().

1 Like

Just want a timer to show when our transfer switch will switch back to normal utility power. I have a tag that shows we are on regular utility power and another that shows that generator is running. Want to show a timer when regular utility power is restored. It takes 15 minutes to transfer.

If you've got a tag indicating which power source you're on, add a tag change script to it that writes the current timestamp to some other tag. Then in your UI, use @bkarabinchak.psi's expression to show the delta between that stored timestamp and the current time for a 'count up'.

If you're guaranteeing 15 minutes, then do the same, but 'store' time of switch + 15 minutes (system.date.addMinutes()) and use the same delta display logic.

2 Likes

Hi @PGriffith,
I have a similar question but I need to make a countdown timer of 400s from the moment a particular tag changes. Looking for a simple timer that states: "400" then "399" ..... "0"

Following both solutions above, I've been able to get this working. Thank you for that.