Crash report on Ignition Edge on Moxa device

Hi.
We’re doing some tests with Ignition 7.9.12 on Moxa devices.
Unfortunately we’re occasionally noticing web interface crashes. It seems to happen more often when there are errors (like when the device is disconnected from internet), but it may be just a wrong feeling.

The device has 512MB RAM, ARM 1GHz processor. The OS is Debian 9, OpenJDK 1.8.

Here’s the heading of the crash report:

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb587ca5a, pid=28660, tid=0x772af470
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_212-b03) (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b03-2~deb9u1-b03)
# Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (25.212-b03 mixed mode linux-aarch32 )
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0x309a5a]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again

---------------  T H R E A D  ---------------

Current thread (0x77e8cc00):  JavaThread "webserver-3174" [_thread_in_Java, id=13238, stack(0x77260000,0x772b0000)]

siginfo: si_signo: 11 (SIGSEGV), si_code: 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), si_addr: 0x00000011

[...]
Memory: 4k page, physical 511612k(53524k free), swap 0k(0k free)

vm_info: OpenJDK Client VM (25.212-b03) for linux-aarch32 JRE (1.8.0_212-8u212-b03-2~deb9u1-b03), built on May 28 2019 19:55:21 by "buildd" with gcc 6.3.0 20170516

After this report I rebooted a couple of times and added 256MB swapfile. Since then the Edge is behaving much better. Now it has been running for 6 hours.
I must say that before this crash session it has been running smoothly, but for shorter sessions.

I’d like to know if this could be due to the low ram or someting else, maybe the OS or Java.
Also, the crash appear to be into the webserver module: does this mean the data collector could have been running anyway?

Thanks

P.S. I’ve the full crash report, if it’s required

Could you upload the full crash report here, or send it in to support@inductiveautomation.com? I don’t think what’s in the header there is enough to conclusively say what was happening -“webserver” is just the generic name for a thread the webserver is running; it could be running any number of different actions, most likely initiated by a Vision client.

That aside - it’s most likely an issue with memory; that’s the most common cause of problems on lower-end or embedded hardware.

Hi. Thanks for your reply! I’ve already sent the full crash report (ticket #100509).

Indeed I’ve not been using the Designer lately… Maybe the Edge is more relaxed now. :slight_smile:.
We will be using 1GB ram devices for the final project.

Do tickets have some SLA? I’ve opened it more than 10 days ago and I have yet to receive a feedback…

This is really my only complaint, that support via the support portal tends to be rather slow… Hence why I tend to try to use the forums for most of my issues. In your case here however, it’s something that is perhaps too niche for the forum :confused:

10 days almost certainly means the ticket fell through the cracks, but they do prioritize phone support over email support. Do you know your ticket number?

edit: I see you posted it already, I’ll ask about it.

1 Like