I am currently trying to help one of our mutual customers who is having issues getting Ignition to read our data via OPC. I have been able to reproduce his issue of Ignition ‘locking up’ when trying to browse our tags on a Win7 64-bit PC.
When using a DA3 OPC server: Using the Quick Client, I expand our server, and Ignition shows the group, when I click to expand the group Ignition stops responding. I need to restart via the Gateway Control Utility to get it back.
When the OPC server is set to use DA2: I am able to browse all of the tags, but the values never show, and the quality shows stale.
Everything works perfect on my 32-bit Win7 machine, I didn’t try the DA2 option since the DA3 worked fine. I have also tried 3 other OPC Clients. All 3 were able to read our data using DA2. One was DA2 only, the second also crashed when it was forced to use DA3, the third was able to read data via DA1, 2, and 3.
Based on the fact that 2 different clients crashed when trying to access our server via DA3, I don’t want to point fingers, as it could be something we are (or are not) doing. What I am really looking for is things to check, as well as possible diagnostic functions to use to try to get to the bottom of the issue.