Create a new database

I have the need to work on several client’s ignition HMI on my laptop. I will develop from my laptop and then install the project on a new computer on site.

How do I create a new database connection? I do not want the tag database from all of my applications to be available when I am working on a specific project.

When I “Create new Database Connection…” and type in a new “Connect URL” the database is not created. The first time I performed this same operation, the “Test” database was created. Is it possible to do this again with a different name?

[quote=“erikburns”]I have the need to work on several client’s ignition HMI on my laptop. I will develop from my laptop and then install the project on a new computer on site.

How do I create a new database connection? I do not want the tag database from all of my applications to be available when I am working on a specific project.

When I “Create new Database Connection…” and type in a new “Connect URL” the database is not created. The first time I performed this same operation, the “Test” database was created. Is it possible to do this again with a different name?[/quote]

If you’re working for multiple clients, you’re probably best having a separate gateway for each one - as you correctly point out SQLTags (plus database and device connections) are shared across projects.

Start with a clean Ignition install. Do a gateway backup and save it somewhere.

Create your project(s) for Client A.

When you need to do work for Client B, do a gateway backup and save it (as Client A). Now do a restore from the “clean” copy you took to start with. This will give you a blank canvas to start with to do your development for Client B.

When you need to develop for Client A again, simply backup your Client B gateway and then restore your Client A gateway.

The above assumes your clients are all on the same version of Ignition, otherwise…

Another option is to use Virtual Machines and have one per client, although don’t get me started on the Microsoft OS licensing implications :imp: