Creating Standard and Remote (Not Managed) Tag Providers Using SDK

I can’t figure out how to programmatically create standard and remote tag providers using the SDK. I’d like to be able to:

1. Create a standard tag provider (on our tag server)
  2. Create a remote tag provider (that points to our tag server)

I was able to successfully create a “Managed Tag Provider” but I don’t think this is what I want…I see it in my drop down of tag providers but it’s not on the webpage because it’s managed (or at least that’s my best guess). And if the only way to solve this is with a “Managed Tag Provider”, I also don’t see a way to make a “Managed Tag Provider” a remote tag provider.

I’ve been following some of these documents:

• Gateway Context
  • Gateway Tag Manger
    • I’m using the getOrCreateManagedTagProvider method to create the managed tag provider
    • I don’t see any other methods for creating tag providers

But I don’t see any way to create a standard or remote tag provider. Or at least not easily…

I stumbled upon the TagProviderExtensionPointType

But it looks like that is for when I want to create a different type of tag provider? And I’m not trying to do that…And since it is an Abstract class, I have to extend it to use it.

Are creating standard and remote tag providers some of those things that just aren’t possible? And I saw in the SDK examples on GitHub there’s an example to create a Managed Tag Provider but I just can’t find anything to create a Standard or Remote Tag Provider…

For some background, I’m trying to use the WebDev module to allow us to create tag providers via APIs. Here is some of the code that I’ve tried so far. The top portion is how I am creating a managed tag provider and the commented out portion on the bottom are some of my failed attempts at creating a standard tag provider.

Code to create a Managed Tag Provider in WebDev module:

#Creating a managed tag provider
	from com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.tags.managed import ProviderConfiguration
	context = request['context']
	tagManager = context.getTagManager()
	print(tagManager)
	print(type(tagManager))
	config = ProviderConfiguration('ManagedProvider')
	managedTagProvider = tagManager.getOrCreateManagedProvider(config)
	return {'json': {'Provider': managedTagProvider}}
	#To delete a managed tag provider, run the below line
	#managedTagProvider.shutdown(True)

Code attempting to create standard and/or remote tag providers

#Code trying to create standard and/or remote tag providers...
	#Not functional because the TagProviderExtensionPointType is abstract and needs to be extended...

from com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.tags.api import TagProviderExtensionPointType, TagProviderSettingsRecord
	tagProviderExtension = TagProviderExtensionPointType('1')
	settings = TagProviderSettingsRecord()
	print(settings)
	print(type(settings))
	settings.DESCRIPTION = 'Here is my description!'
	print(settings)
	print(type(settings))	
	tagProvider = TagProviderExtensionPointType.createNewProvider(context, settings)
	print(tagProvider)
	print(type(tagProvider))

Using Ignition 8.1.0, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

The SDK APIs are to help you implement a custom tag provider. It provides no insight or access to tag providers outside your own implementation. If you had enough information and played with reflection, you might be able to figure out how to do it, but that’s not an intended use of the SDK.

1 Like

Thanks @pturmel for the insight, that makes sense when thinking about creating an actual module but since I’m using the SDK as more of a hook to perform tasks, I was hoping there would be a way to automate some of the manual tasks associated with creating a new server and applying projects and tag providers.

I’m able to do this with a lot of other assets such as devices and gateway networks, was hoping I could do the same with tag providers.

I’ll look into reflection to see if there’s anything there I can use to accomplish this. Thanks again for your help!!

1 Like

hi @ajacques did you had any luck with this implementation?

1 Like