Creating Tables from PLC datafiles

Hi Guys,

Absolute noob question… Trying to get my head around the software.

Our old software used to display tables which contained data which it grabbed from structured datafiles from the PLC. These datafiles are single dimentional and 255 INT long. There are 100 of these datafiles.

In the table each datafile is displayed as 1 row of 255 columns, with the next datafile being Row2 etc etc… so the table ends up being 255 col by 100 row.

Every day a new log is taken which shuffles all the data in a FIFO system.

The software scaled these integers to show decimals when displayed in the table.

Question, Is there a way to do this within Ignition using tables, transaction groups or will it need to be done with script, or a mix?

Any help would be great… :slight_smile:

Cheers

Sure, this is definitely possible with transaction groups. There are a few different ways to do it (you could use 255 standard groups, or 1 block group), but unfortunately in both cases there isn’t a “quick” way to set it up. Probably the quickest way would be to set up one instance, and then use XML export, find/replace, etc.

With standard groups:
-Each item is a column. So, if you drag in all of the items in the datafile, each one will be a column in the table.
-Add a static item that writes to an id column, like “fileid”. Set it to a different value for each group.
-Rename each column to be generic, applicable to all datafiles
-Create a new group for each datafile, modifying the item id, and changing the addresses in the items.

With block groups (preferred):
-Only 1 group for everything
-Each item is a “column”, containing all of the values for a particular position across each datafile.
-I would recommend creating the items by hand (or creating one, and then using xml export/import and a text editor), using the “template mode”. In this mode, you define the base address, with a wildcard that will get filled in for each datafile.
-Update mode should be “insert”.

Hope this gets you started, let me know if anything isn’t clear.

Regards,

Thanks Colby,

It’s all starting to make sense… :slight_smile:

Cheers