Custom Session Properties Gone

This is the second time this has happened to me where my custom session properties are gone. I had approx. 20 of them and at some point they just disappeared.

I see a lot of other posts about people losing bindings to them among other things but I don't believe I saw one where the session properties were essentially deleted.

Does anyone else ever experienced this problem?
The Ignition Edge version is 8.1.23

Did you export / import from another project, by any chance?

Ignition export

I think I experienced session props loss when I exported them from one project into another. I expected them to be merged but it seemed to replace them in the destination project. You could test it out quite quickly.

Nope. Nothing was working on the project yesterday and now today once I opened it up and looked at a screen and bindings were failing. They were bounded to custom session properties and I looked and they were just gone.

did you session properties have bindings on them? I have seen sometimes where the properties would disappear but if i added a prop with the same name it would show back up.

I think the reason they were gone is the binding associated with the property was failing.

Same here, I had experience this, when hibernating my machine with designer opened, and the next day star working something happened that the session custom props disappeared... More than ones, and a work mate suffers the same many times..

We opened a ticket but we were never able to recreated it, it happens to me working with 8.1.20

Some had bindings, approx 5. And the others did not.

Did you upgrade to 8.1.26 recently by chance?

Hi, this has happened to me a few times. Most recently today. I'm running Version 8.1.27 on a MacBook Pro. Discouraging to see that this hasn't been solved despite years of bug reports.

It's to the point where I can't confidently use any Custom Session Properties which is a shame because they're very useful when they stick around. If I'm missing anything or there's a fix, please let me know. Thanks.

Making them persistent should fix the issue.

1 Like

Thank you, Pascal. I have made that change. I'll reply back to this thread if they disappear again.

Is this still an issue? All my custom session props, including bindings, disappeared. Theme selection disappeared as well.

I can't pinpoint a change to the environment that triggered this. I'm running 8.1.28 on this gateway.

Perhaps peek at the \com.inductiveautomation.perspective\session-props\props.json file to see if the props are in the file? Maybe they were somehow marked persistent = false?

Hey @jlandwerlen thanks for the reply. I don't have a session-props folder inside data\modules\com.inductiveautomation.perspective nor can I find anything about that folder or props.json in the Ignition docs. Have any more info on where I could find more on this?

You're not looking in the right place.
Try .../ignition/data/projects/{project_name}/com.inductiveautomation.perspective/session-props

2 Likes

Sorry if I gave the incorrect path.

As jland said, the persistent property on them was likely equal to false which means they are lost during an upgrade. I learned this the hard way as well

I had this issue happen to me again (probably the 4th or 5th time). All of my custom session properties are set to persistent and they all just disappeared by themselves. Luckily I've gotten good at manually reimporting a saved export of just the session properties so I only had about 10 minutes of downtime. Curious if I can set up some external logging that tries to dig into this issue for when it happens the next time, which it has proven it will continue to do.

2 Likes