Dark Mode Ignition? Eye Strain

I'm a newbie to Ignition and was wondering if Ignition has a 'dark mode' available?
(Not themes for the Views, but an overall change-like dark mode on Iphone etc for working within Ignition.).
I am used to working in Visual Studio Code's dark mode and working in Ignition is causing some slight eye strain. (This is not a big deal but was just was genuinely wondering!!)

Just curious if anyone knows how to work around this or think they will make this possible in the future!
It would be an AWESOME feature to have!!! :slight_smile:

Eye strain is much worse, long term, with dark mode. (If you know anything about depth of field in optics, and what your pupil does, it is no shock.) Fix your room lighting if light mode bothers your eyes. Long topic:

Some young developers have worked out some hacks recently, so they can destroy their eyes faster. I'm not going to help you find it.

Dark mode is the hipster thing, but you will regret it.

7 Likes

I'm no hipster, and in the past, I've wanted to back you up on this assertion because it's intuitive, but I can't find a single peer reviewed study that supports the claim that dark mode damages the eyes or causes early onset presbyopia. However, I did find one peer reviewed study that found legibility was enhanced by using dark mode for users that already had presbyopia. I've seen several studies linking excessive screen time to abnormal eye development in children, but this screen time was mostly video content, so it's not directly linkable to light or dark mode theme settings.

That said, there are a lot of studies linking excessive bright screen time to disruptions in circadian rhythm, and because of this, I use software on my computers and handheld devices to gradually red shift the colors when it's getting late. Furthermore, I often switch to a dark mode theme when I know I'm supposed to be shutting down because once I get going on a problem, I need all the help I can get to stop.

As a general rule, during normal working hours, I want a lot of light both from my screens and from overhead. I usually don't have direct access to natural sunlight during working hours, so I want all the artificial light I can get to convince my endocrine system that it's daytime. It's an important thing to consider because the more significant and scientifically proven danger to working in dimly lit environments are all the health problems linked to circadian rhythm disruption such as alzheimer's, chronic stress, dementia, hormonal imbalance, and weight gain; alzheimer's and dementia being the ones that scare me the most.

This article from Wired has a good description of the eye mechanics involved, and links to peer-reviewed research from 2013:

Uggh, this thread is going to make me sound like I'm firmly in the dark mode camp, which I most certainly am not. As I've said before, I believe dark mode during working hours is a bad idea. but I also feel that bright mode after hours is an equally bad idea. On the latter note, I concede the Wired article's point that no screen time after hours is the best practice.

That said, I have to point out that the 2013 study is about the legibility of dark vs light mode [negative polarity vs positive plarity], and it notably gives an advantage to light mode, but it says nothing about dark mode causing eye damage or long term side effects. Furthermore, the 2013 study doesn't contradict the similar study that I posted with the opposite results because the 2013 study doesn't look specifically at subjects with presbyopia [age related farsightedness].

I feel like we could google this to death and find lots of anecdotal arguments supporting both positions, but I don't believe we will find any evidence compelling enough to justify denying users this preference.