Data too long for column at row

I have a field called “Service Details” that a user enters in information. There are several other fields that the user has to enter information into. Once all the necessary fields have the required information, I have a query that writes that data into a table. I keep getting an error saying, “Caused by: com.mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Data too long for column ‘serviceDetails’ at row 1”. I tried to just increase the size of that column, but still am receiving the error. I have a feeling that I need to change the datatype of ‘serviceDetails’. Currently, the datatype is VARCHAR, but I am not sure how to change that to something like VARCHAR(1000). Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you have MYSql workbench installed? You can make the change with the GUI, by selecting your table > right click > alter table.

You may want to look into the TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT data types, depending on how much might go into your text fields.

alter table will do it.
Something like this I think (maybe check google to make sure :D)

ALTER TABLE table_name MODIFY column_name VARCHAR(1000)

I tried that and received the following error:

java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘ALTER TABLE Reports MODIFY serviceDetails VARCHAR(1000)’ at line 9

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/alter-table.html

And make sure to check the documentation for the version you're using.