Database connectivity with oracle driver ojdbc10.jar

I am helping our database admin with an Oracle 19c upgrade. To do so, the most current oracle JDBC driver is required, ojdbc10.jar.

I have installed this updated driver on a windows server 2012 virtual machine with no issues. It has the Java JDK developers environment 9.0.4 installed along with java version 1.8.0_191.

When attempting to install ojdbc10.jar on my local laptop, (without the JDK developers environment, & java version 1.8.0_231_b11) I lose connection to my Oracle databases. When looking @ the error message from the database connection tab on the status page, I get the following error:

•   "Cannot load JDBC driver class 'oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"  with the specific content:

• Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: oracle/jdbc/driver/OracleDriver has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 54.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0.

Would installing the JDK devlopers kit solve this? Is there anything else that should be done to facilitate the ojdbc10.jar file? Im trying to iron out the kinks prior to rolling out to production critical licenses & had minimal luck finding documentation to learn from.

Thanks!!

class file version 54.0 means the JDBC driver was compiled for Java 10, which means the version of Java you run Ignition on needs to be at least 10.

Only Ignition 8.0.x is compatible with anything beyond JDK 9, so you’ll need to be on Ignition 8 for this driver to be usable. Ignition 8 ships with its own JDK 11 runtime and you won’t need any other versions installed in your environment.

The compatibility matrix here suggests you can use ojdbc8.jar instead: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/faq-jdbc.html

1 Like

Kevin - thank you for your quick & accurate response.

ojdbc8.jar was loaded onto my 2 test environments & all oracle connections behaved as they should. Your explanations were spot on & the link to the faq @ oracle’s website allowed me to learn more about the application at hand.