DataSet Custom property on UDT has value of [Unknown Type] when written

I've got a UDT that we are wanting to attach a DataSet custom property to the main UDT. This will hold static data throughout the UDT and we are trying to get away from having tags just for this purpose.

If I create an instance of this UDT and look at the custom properties I see the normal view for a dataset.

However, if I write to that dataset from anything, scripting, binding etc... the value changes to this:

Interestingly the added row is there in the binding and all the data works. I just can't view it from the Tag Browser.

If I create a normal memory tag ad add that same dataset as a custom property on the tag it works just fine. Adding,removing etc all show normally and show the dataset value in the tag browser.

So before I commit to using custom properties for this... is the DataSet value showing [Unknown Value] a bug or am I doing something that is out of bounds for these custom properties?

Edit:
FWIW this happens in 8.1.20 and 8.1.21

It certainly seems like you should be able to use Dataset just fine in a custom property, so I would say this is a bug.

Does Document have the same issue, out of curiousity?

that might be a bit tougher to test with bindings as I'm all in Vision right now. But I'll see what I can do.