Deep Parameter Binding Issue

I am having a strange issue that won't allow me to bind a tag to something that seems to be nested sort of deep into my view. All I want to do is make sure that the visibility of this icon is turned off when the visibility of the next icon is turned on. Expression edit, easy. Here's the path I have tried to use:

/root/Desktop/Main/Top/Quantity_and_Initial_Settings_Container/Data/12/EmbeddedView.props.params.loaded

and the one that ignition wants me to use:

../Main/Top/Quantity_and_Initial_Settings_Container/Data/12/EmbeddedView.props.params.loaded

But both of these options give me the same error: "Error_InvalidPathSyntax"

Not sure what is to be done about this? Is this a bug or a feature?

Don't bind inward. Make view custom properties for these icons' visibility, and bind from the icon back to {view.custom.icon1Vis} and {view.custom.icon2Vis}. (For input fields, use bidirectional bindings.)

Then any action, however deep, need only check or manipulate the view custom properties. This makes your view immune to breakage when you re-arrange the components.

If it seems like your view custom prop list is too big (or will be), remember that they can be objects with nested properties, too.

4 Likes

This also makes everything clean and easier to find where the data is coming from! Less headaches in the future for complex screens.

1 Like