Default app for the .conf file

I updated the maximum heap size for my application and I accidentally set notepad as the default app for all .conf files. Now I get the net help 3547 error when trying to start ignition.

I cant for the life of me figure out how to remove notepad as the default app for that file type is there a file I can point to to use as the default app for my install for all my .conf files?

What Operating System?

Windows 10

in search type in settings and go the settings app…

you can also navigate to c:\program files\inductive automation\ignition\logs and look at the wrapper.log file and that might help.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

The error means you probably got the syntax of the heap size wrong, so now Ignition won’t start the service.

My preference is to use Notepad++. Right click the file and select edit with NP++. Make your change and save, it will say needs admin mode, accept and re-save.

If you use ordinary notepad, you can have issues with the file save in same destination, requiring copying the file to e.g. my documents, then renaming ignition.conf in the root folder as e.g. ignition.conf.old, then copying the one from my documents over to the root folder. NP++ saves this hassle.

It’s also a good idea to make a copy of the conf before you make any amendments.

1 Like

I also endorse NP++ for use in Windows.

This too. Been burned a couple times, long ago... :flushed:

Thanks guys, after checking the wrapper log i found out that the 32 bit jre was installed on the machine, I ended up fixing the problem by upgrading to version 7.9.10 and setting the max heap size to 4096.