Deploying Modules w/ 7.4.1 (b906)

We upgraded to 7.4.1 last night, (both the installs and the SDK). We're noticing that when we deploy our Designer/Client module, the State gets set to New instead of Loaded. We've got to restart the module to get it to a Loaded state, (New prevents our RPC logic from executing successfully). We get the following message in wrapper.log ...

Well shoot, I was going to ask if there was a stack trace for that, but I took a look at where that error is logged, and unfortunately, the error is left out (it’s an oversight that unfortunately happens from time to time since the log4j error() function doesn’t require the error).

Anyhow, there are only so many operations it does to load a module, so perhaps by turning the “ModuleManager” logger to Debug, we can narrow it down.

I’d recommend stopping the gateway and removing your module from user-lib/modules before starting up, setting the logger level, and then trying to install the module. Copy and paste the messages from the wrapper that seem to deal with module installation, up to that error.

One thing that I will point out, which seems like a strong possibility (err, not to blame it on you, just sayin’!): any uncaught exception in your module’s load(), setup(), or startup() functions will cause this. So, you might try wrapping each of those in overarching exception handlers to see if it’s coming from there (it could still be a problem with 7.4, but something that’s happening in your setup or startup, instead of in the actually loading system).

Regards,

[quote=“Colby.Clegg”]One thing that I will point out, which seems like a strong possibility (err, not to blame it on you, just sayin’!): any uncaught exception in your module’s load(), setup(), or startup() functions will cause this. [/quote]Blasphemy! :slight_smile:

I’ve attached the wrapper.log, don’t see anything helpful though.

Within our AbstractClientModuleHook & AbstractDesignerModuleHook, we’ve got …

[code]
public void startup(ClientContext context, LicenseState activationState) throws Exception {
super.startup(context, activationState);
}

public void initializeScriptManager(ScriptManager manager) {
super.initializeScriptManager(manager);
manager.addScriptModule(“super.secret.utilities”, SuperSecretUtilities.class);
manager.addScriptModule(“super.secret.rpc”, new ModuleRpcProxy());
}[/code]
ModuleRpcProxy’s constructor isn’t doing anything special, just gives a String a value.

I’ll add some try/catch’s throughout later today, will let you know how it goes.
wrapper.log (25.5 KB)

Well, it did help me narrow it down a bit… and it appears it’s not getting to the startup phase. Unfortunately, it doesn’t give me much to go on.

So, I compiled a new version of gateway.jar that should print out the full error. Stop the gateway, and replace the version in “{Install Dir}\lib\core\gateway” with this one, and try again.
gateway.jar (2.48 MB)

See attached screenshot …

Does your module name have a forward- or back-slash in it?

Yeah, I would guess you have the module name for that module: “XXX Module Designer\Client”, which would screw up this stage which writes some info to a text file called “modulename-info.txt”.

Regards,

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]Does your module name have a forward- or back-slash in it?[/quote][quote=“Colby.Clegg”]Yeah, I would guess you have the module name for that module: “XXX Module Designer\Client”, which would screw up this stage which writes some info to a text file called “modulename-info.txt”.[/quote]Correct, the element has “Designer\Client” at the end of it … ditching the slash seems to work, just deployed and it’s got a state of Loaded. I’m assuming this is due to a 7.4 change, we weren’t seeing this previously … ?

Yeah, this is apparently new for 7.4. The installer uses the version information to warn if a module is going to under go a major version upgrade (1.0.0 vs. 2.0.0).

There’s apparently a problem handling a backslash in the module name :scratch:

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]Yeah, this is apparently new for 7.4. The installer uses the version information to warn if a module is going to under go a major version upgrade (1.0.0 vs. 2.0.0).

There’s apparently a problem handling a backslash in the module name :scratch:[/quote]Hmm, perhaps the slash is inadvertently escaping the element which is causing problems when being parsed?

[quote]

super-duper-module
Super Duper Designer/Client Module</name>[/quote]