Designer Launcher in Linux Mint 19.1

Hi

I installed Ignition 8.0 onto Linux Mint and all went well until I got to the Designer Launcher bit. Downloaded the Linux version and extracted the .tar.gz to the desktop but the actual launcher isn’t associated with anything? I though Java was built in to Ignition with 8.0 so I’m not sure what I should be associating it with. Running it as a shell script just kicks off a few errors.

What am I missing?

Edit: The .desktop file is incorrect and needs tweaking

What are the errors?

@SteveE in addition to Kevins question, which edition of mint are you using? Cinnamon, MATE, or xfce?

You either need to run app/designerlauncher.sh from the command line, or copy the contents of designerlauncher.tar.gz to /usr/share/applications. The .desktop file is not an executable file like a .sh is.

Kernel: 5.0.7-050007-generic x86_64 bits
64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

$ ./designerlauncher.desktop
./designerlauncher.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
./designerlauncher.desktop: line 7: Launcher: command not found
./designerlauncher.desktop: line 8: -c: command not found

Edit: Thanks Kyle - running /designerlauncher/app$ ./designerlauncher.sh

does the trick

Is there a designerlauncher.sh you can run instead?

Now that I’ve run the /designerlauncher/app$ ./designerlauncher.sh , the icon of the desktop link is now fixed…

But still doesn’t do anything

Designer Launcher properties:
Command: bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k
Permissions: Allow Executing file as a program

When I run the bash, that works but Mint doesn’t like running the .Desktop

Looks like a Mint problem - I’ll keep digging

Validating the designerlauncher.desktop file gives a bunch of errors:

desktop-file-validate designerlauncher.desktop
designerlauncher.desktop: warning: key “Encoding” in group “Desktop Entry” is deprecated
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “True” for boolean key “Terminal” in group “Desktop Entry” contains invalid characters, boolean values must be “false” or “true”
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k” for key “Exec” in group “Desktop Entry” contains a reserved character ‘’’ outside of a quote
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k” for key “Exec” in group “Desktop Entry” contains a non-escaped character ‘$’ in a quote, but it should be escaped with two backslashes ("\$")
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k” for key “Exec” in group “Desktop Entry” contains a reserved character ‘$’ outside of a quote
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k” for key “Exec” in group “Desktop Entry” contains a reserved character ‘&’ outside of a quote
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k” for key “Exec” in group “Desktop Entry” contains a reserved character ‘&’ outside of a quote
designerlauncher.desktop: error: value “bash -c ‘cd “$(dirname “$1”)/app” && ./designerlauncher.sh &’ . %k” for key “Exec” in group “Desktop Entry” contains a reserved character ‘’’ outside of a quote
designerlauncher.desktop: warning: value “.” for key “Path” in group “Desktop Entry” does not look like an absolute path

Changing the .desktop file to hard code my path to designerlauncher.sh and change True to true:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Icon=/home/steve/Downloads/designerlauncher/app/launcher.png
Name=Designer Launcher
Exec=/home/steve/Downloads/designerlauncher/app/designerlauncher.sh
Path=.

So basically True > true
and Exec doesn’t like single and double quotes

I copied the extracted contents of designerlauncher.tar.gz to /usr/share/applications, and it showed up and ran from the menu for me. Give that a whirl.

That didn’t work for me - flashes up for a split second and then it disappears

Weird, it worked for me on a fresh install. Gremlins!

Changing the .desktop file again:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Categories=Development
Terminal=false
Icon=/usr/share/applications/designerlauncher/app/launcher.png
Name=Ignition Designer Launcher
Exec=/usr/share/applications/designerlauncher/app/designerlauncher.sh
Path=.

Fixed that one

a mi me pasaba igual. Finalmente el problema es que no es compatible con sistemas de 64 bits. La arquitectura del SO que tengo es armv7l. Desde armv8 ya es compatible con 64 todo lo que hay debajo no. ¿podéis pasar un launcher de 32? me da pelotaso volver a configurar todo.

Usar el traductor de Google para el resto de nosotros :smiley:

The same thing happened to me. Finally the problem is that it is not compatible with 64-bit systems. The OS architecture I have is armv7l. Since armv8 is already compatible with 64, everything below is not. Can you pass a 32 launcher? It gives me a ball to reconfigure everything.

1 Like

This might help (I think you’re going to have to migrate to 64 bit at some point to stay current):

New features in Ignition 8.0.15 include the BACnet driver, a 64-bit Linux ARM installer, improvements to the gateway web interface, and new actions in Perspective.

Sorry Peter and thanks, long time in the PC.