Designer Launcher with SocketException: Connection reset error

I am connecting to a new gateway 8.1.2 and found that when trying to connect with Designer Launcher, I get an Error Launching message “SocketException: Connection reset”

I have seen a couple of post, but they don’t quite seem to fit my issue.

I have connected to various other gateways recently (8.0) and (7.9) and wonder if mixing environments is causing any issue. For this gateway, I am connecting via VPN to the gateway. I am running on Win10 machine.

Other note: I can reach this gateway from a browser, and I was able to manually configure the gateway from an existing Designer Launcher app. When it didn’t work, I also downloaded the DL from this gateway, but the error still remains.

Any suggestions?

Here is where it seemed to fail in the log file:

Downloading “http://172.17.10.145:8088/system/jar/mcom.inductiveautomation.alarm-notification/__3788772363__alarm-notification-designer-6.1.2.jar” (timeout=60000)…
Connect successful.
Starting download of 212574 bytes
Only read 174463 bytes in 256ms!
Download attempt #0 for file __3788772363__alarm-notification-designer-6.1.2.jar failed.
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Downloading “http://172.17.10.145:8088/system/jar/mcom.inductiveautomation.alarm-notification/__3788772363__alarm-notification-designer-6.1.2.jar” (timeout=60000)…
Connect successful.
Only read 174463 bytes in 308ms!
Download attempt #1 for file __3788772363__alarm-notification-designer-6.1.2.jar failed.
at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.MeteredStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.StepInputStreamWrapper.read(StepInputStreamWrapper.java:46)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.util.CRC32InputStream.read(CRC32InputStream.java:35)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.DownloadJarsStep.downloadJar(DownloadJarsStep.java:172)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.DownloadJarsStep$DownloadJarsAction.run(DownloadJarsStep.java:77)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.DownloadJarsStep$DownloadJarsAction.run(DownloadJarsStep.java:58)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.AbstractLaunchStep.runLockedAction(AbstractLaunchStep.java:95)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.BaseStep.runLockedAction(BaseStep.java:21)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.steps.DownloadJarsStep.run(DownloadJarsStep.java:55)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.AbstractStepRunner.run(AbstractStepRunner.java:33)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Connect successful.
Only read 174463 bytes in 326ms!
Download attempt #2 for file __3788772363__alarm-notification-designer-6.1.2.jar failed.

Do you have any middleware (firewall, packet sniffer, generic security device) between the computer you’re attempting to launch the designer on and your gateway? Some security product could be seeing the launcher attempting to download .jar files on a non-standard port and assume it’s malicious.

Not that I am aware of and nothing that alerted me to a possible security issue.

Me too facing the same issue

Facing same issue…

Any resolution for this?