Designer not Launching on Linux system

Hi, I’m using Ubuntu 18.0.4 and when downloading and running the designer for Ignition 7.9.10, I’m getting the error: “Error Launching Application: NoClassDefFoundError: java/sql/Date”. I’m running using the command: javaws designer.jnlp on the terminal. How do I resolve this issue?
Thanks in advance.

What version of Java do you have installed? Is there a reason you’re not using the launcher?

I am using Java openjdk 11.0.3 and I am using the launcher, but pressing Launch Designer in the gateway just downloads and runs the .jnlp file.

You can only use up to Java 9 with Ignition 7.9.

You should be able to download a native launcher from the gateway home page and then launch the Designer and Clients using that rather than the webstart JNLP.

Starting with Ignition 7.9.10 the native launchers include a Java runtime and it doesn’t matter which version you have installed on your system (for the purpose of clients and designers… gateway still uses system Java).

2 Likes

Hi @Kevin.Herron,
Thanks for that, it worked perfectly and everything is going well now.
Cheers.

Hi,

I’m also having an issue launching the designer in Linux. I’m using Linux Mint 19.2, Cinnamon, and Ignition 7.9.12

After I installed Ignition, it didn’t automatically launch the Gateway, but I was able to manually type in the address. I clicked on the Launch Designer and saved the designer.jnlp file.

I tried to open the designer.jnlp file using the installed OpenJDK Java 11 Runtime, but nothing happened.

I installed Icedtea using “sudo apt install icedtea-netx” and was able to start the Designer application, but received this error message while launching:

Screenshot%20from%202019-10-12%2009-23-25

Java WebStart (jnlp) no longer exists in Java11. You must use the Native Client Launcher.

2 Likes

Could you please elaborate? When I click on the Designer button on the Gateway web page, it downloads a .jnlp file. How do launch the native Designer?

Download and run the Native Launcher for your platform. Use it’s Designer Launch button. (v7.9. In 8.0, the designer launcher is a separate download.)