Difference between Ethernet/IP Suite Connections

Hello,
pturmel made a Ethernet/IP suite that when installed in the modules section of your Gateway gives more options to use in the device connections. The added connections can be seen in the photo attached. Does anyone or pturmel know the difference in use between the three or examples of how each would be used.

I am also unable to @ pturmel because I am a new user.

Thank You!

I'm pretty sure there is a user manual for these, but here you go: @pturmel

edit: https://www.automation-pros.com/enip1/UserManual.pdf

1 Like

If you're simply looking for a replacement driver to access tags in the PLC, you need the Generic EtherNet/IP Client Device. I believe the other 2 are for directly connecting to I/O (I think this is the first option - EtherNet/IP Class 1 Host Device), and for simulating a "virtual rack" to allow a PLC/scanner/ethernet card to connect the virtual rack and treat it like I/O.

"Class3" is what the protocol specification calls "request/response" traffic, aka "polling", and uses just TCP/IP. In my driver module, this is the "Generic EtherNet/IP Client Device" option. Use it to replace IA's v21+ Logix driver, MicroLogix 800 driver, and Omron NJ/NX driver. It also supports other functionality within the "Class3" part of the EtherNet/IP specification.

The above part of my driver is licensed as the "Client Option".

"Class1" is what the protocol specification calls scheduled traffic, like I/O connections and producer/consumer tags. Scheduled traffic is initiated with a class3 "Forward Open" request and response, but then actually transfers data over UDP/IP.

Within my module, the "Adapter Option" allows Ignition to behave as a virtual remote I/O chassis for other PLCs to scan. Many connections, from multiple PLCs, are allowed when setting up unique connection points (assembly numbers). The adapter option also enables Ignition to receive data transfers from/to other PLCs via those PLCs' messaging instructions. And it allows other PLCs to subscribe to producer tags in Ignition. Select the "EtherNet/IP Class1 Host Device" to use these features.

The "EtherNet/IP Class1 Target Device" is also available with the adapter option--it is a cut-down implementation of the Host Device intended to behave as multiple identical occupants of slots in the virtual I/O chassis. (Use with Rockwell's ETHERNET-BRIDGE and CIP-MODULE elements in a Logix Processor's I/O configuration.)

When licensed with the "Scanner+Adapter Option", the class1 functionality expands to include the ability to be a scanner for EtherNet/IP I/O devices, and to configure consumer tags in Ignition, subscribed to real PLCs producer tags. This option also allows the use of arbitrary class3 requests to other devices via scripting. Select the "EtherNet/IP Class1 Host Device" to use these features.

The user manual Kevin linked above goes into great detail as to what is possible.