Disabled button still working

I am using Ignition 7.1.8 (beta) and I set up security on several momentary buttons in my project. The button looks like it is disabling itself correctly when a user with the required role is not logged in. The background color changes to light gray. However, when I click on that button it is still writing a value to my PLC. I tried simply turning off the Enable property as a test and it does the exact same thing. The button is still working even though it is disabled! From what I found this only happens in normal buttons. I have some 2 State Toggle buttons and they appear to be working correctly.

What I did as a work around was to remove the binding from the Control property and use scripting to check the security and set the tag appropriately. This works fine but I haven’t found a way to duplicate the “On Time” feature manually.

Thanks for the bug report - we’ll get this fixed.

Funny, that’s how I always thought the buttons were intended to work. Even in FPMI, in my button scripts, I had to do a check to see if it’s enabled.

Fwiw, other components like sliders and dropdowns exhibit the same behavior.

They do!? I can't seem to replicate that - when I disable a slider or dropdown the no longer function. Whereas when I disable a momentary button, it looks disabled but still functions normally.

It is true that mouse scripts will still execute on disabled components (this is intentional) but sliders and dropdowns no longer function in my experience. What am I missing?

The momentary button issue has been fixed for 7.1.8

[quote=“Carl.Gould”][They do!? I can’t seem to replicate that - when I disable a slider or dropdown the no longer function. Whereas when I disable a momentary button, it looks disabled but still functions normally.

It is true that mouse scripts will still execute on disabled components (this is intentional) but sliders and dropdowns no longer function in my experience. What am I missing?[/quote]
I was talking about the mouse clicks on the disabled slider and dropdowns. The rest of the events are disabled.

Just curious- why was enabling mouse events on disabled components intentional? It’s not a big deal because I use scripting an all components anyway and just evaluate that condition, but I would think it would lead to unexpected results.

I suppose it could lead to unexpected results if you’re not expecting it.

It really just comes down to the meaning of “enabled” which is a fairly subjective thing. We take it to mean that the normal operation of the component stops functioning. Custom event handlers are not included in “normal operation”. Basically, we’d rather let you decide what enabled means with regards to your mouse handlers. For example, someone might want to implement a right-click menu on a disabled component to let the user log in as a supervisor or something. If we didn’t execute mouse events on disabled components, this type of option wouldn’t be possible.

Makes sense. So now, the the mouse events will be inhibited on disabled buttons, but will still work on other components on the next version?

Just want to make sure I explain this correctly when someone asks.

No, user-configured mouse events will not be inhibited by enabled mode.

The momentary button’s normal functionality will be inhibited.