Display Gateway PDF in Client PDF Viewer

I haven’t been able to figure out a simple way of displaying a pdf that is stored on my gateway in a client pdf viewer. I envision it working like the image component, where you upload an image into the appropriate Ignition folder and then just enter the file path into the component. Is there a reason that the image component works this way, but not the pdf viewer? My client is running on a RPi, and for various reasons I need to host the pdf files on the gateway and view on the client. I can’t use system.net.openURL() because I am in fullscreen mode and it wouldn’t work like I want.

1 Like

The image management feature was mostly built to solve a specific problem in Vision, so it doesn’t support arbitrary file hosting. The “correct” way to do something like this would be the webdev module - similar to Perspective, you can make a Python endpoint that returns a byte-stream (corresponding to the output of system.report.executeReport) and returns it to the host - then, Vision’s PDF viewer component should be able to display the output from that URL successfully.

1 Like

I’ve stored PDF’s in DB (as a BLOB) and then used the PDF viewer to display

3 Likes

It would be a useful feature to have. I am looking for a way to store PDF manuals and instruction files centrally on the Gateway so that they are accessible in Ignition Vision Client for each machine. If I update a file, I can just save the file to the gateway instead of trying to distribute it to multiple PCs.

1 Like