DNP3 integrity poll not working after initial integrity poll

When I setup a DNP3 driver everything seems to work fine after the initial integrity poll and the live values also works fine. The DNP3 driver won't pull the Class1-3 events from the devices besides on the initial integrity poll. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

You didn't really miss anything, we just made some poor implementation choices with this driver and it doesn't operate like most people would expect.

If you want events to come in, instead of static points to be polled, then you need to enable unsolicited messaging. If your device doesn't support it then you can only get the static/real-time points values.

There's a new version of the DNP3 driver in the works that I'm hoping will be ready in Q1 next year that addresses some of the problems with the current version, one of which is that the primary means of data acquisition will be class-based polling.

1 Like

Kevin, can you let me know when the improved DNP3 driver is released? We are looking to implement it ASAP. Thanks.

Hi Kevin,

Any update on the driver update?
I am having similar issues.

Also is there any way to see the release notes just for a module?
I am using ignition version 8.1.25 it came with DNP3 Driver version 4.1.25, however looking at the module downloads page I can see version 4.1.27 of the DNP3 is now available but looking at the release notes tab
for ignition versions 8.1.26 and 8.1.27 there is no mention of any changes to the DNP3 driver. Does this mean DNP3 Driver version 4.1.25 and 4.1.27 are the same? Do they just receive a version bump because ignition as a whole increased?

Modules always get version bumps to match the platform. There haven’t been any changes to the existing DNP3 driver lately.

The new driver I mentioned has been a bit delayed, likely Q3 now. It will be a new driver released alongside the old one.

Thanks for the update Kevin, let me know if you need us to do any beta testing on the driver.

Hi Kevin,

Its Q3 now (I think :sweat_smile:), any updates on this drive update?

Development is done pending QA and beta testing.

We’re trying to get it worked into QA leading up to ICC and then a beta after ICC.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin, let me know if you need us to do any testing on it.

Kevin,

Do you have an ETA on the DNP3 driver beta?

Thanks

I'll check in to see where it's at. I'm in Germany for an OPC UA thing this coming week, but it's mostly in QA's hands AFAIK.

2 Likes

That's very good news. (:

1 Like

@markphillips @Chris.Wyllie @Mark_Phillips

https://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/new-dnp3-driver-beta/80774/4

Also @msteele

Nice thanks for the tag. I don't want to clog up the main thread on the updated DNP3 beta, but I'm eager to try it an see if it solves the unexpected historization behavior as I documented here: Historian module and "sample mode actor": On Change mode + max interval timer + DNP3 timestamp hold