Docked View and Main View Sizing

I have a north docked view configured to be 1920x100 and my main views are all 1920x980 so that the total dimensions are 1920x1080. In the designer, everything looks exactly as I want it.

I also have the minimum and maximum dimensions of the docked view set to 1920x100.

All of my monitor resolutions are set to 1920x1080.

However, when launching, the docked view wants to resize and now I have components overlapping:



Now, the alarm status table overlaps the tab strip component.
I can't tell which component it is that is changing to cause the overlap.

Are you running the Vision Client in fullscreen mode? Have you disabled the client menu bar?

(Pixel-exact layouts are utterly unmaintainable disasters, in my not-so-humble opinion. Size a little smaller and use anchored layouts instead, if you must.)

If you are on windows 10 the bottom task bar takes up about 70px, then if you are also not launching in fullscreen mode the top window border takes another decent chunk, plus even more if you have the vision menu bar enabled. (I had the numbers somewhere, no clue where that is right now)

I agree, but it's an existing project that we're adding on to.

I haven't used anchored layouts all that much and my experience with them has not been great yet.


Yes, launching in full-screen mode.
Yes, hiding menu bar and windows menu

Seems like it might have something to do with that tab strip component...

Anchored layouts, if applied through an entire window uniformly, uses designer XY coordinates, and always uses designer pixel 1:1 scaling. It is the only way to properly execute pixel-exact layouts. The simplest approach is to set the bottom and right-most components to stretch to those bounds, if at all. Next simplest would be to add a fixed-sized container inside the root container, dimensioned to fit the smallest runtime space, and centered in the root container. Then everything inside it will be the same in all environments (with a little wasted space).

Lost me there... I've done a bit of perspective as well and layouts there are even tougher.

I got it figured out. I have to monkey with the text padding on the tab strips because I use some <html> formatting inside the display names on some and I want even button sizes, so my padding ends up being negative most of the time, and even more negative for the "longer" names.

I'll have to try harder to figure out the anchoring stuff on the next project I start from scratch.

Kept running into issues with the different sizes of tabs for different tab strips on the same page because the tab size is dictated by the length of the longest tab strip display name, including html formatting characters - which don't actually show up when displayed.

What I did to remedy this was to create a ridiculously long html display name on an invisible tab (transparent when unselected and disabled) to make sure that that would be the longest display name and then at least the text padding could be consistent between the different tab strips to keep all the tabs the same size.


Just in case anyone runs into this later