Docker Image for Maker Edition

For those of you interested in leveraging Maker Edition under Docker, I’ve updated my kcollins/ignition image with full support for Maker Edition (along with Full and Edge from before)! If you haven’t checked it out before, there’s no better time to get started with Docker and Ignition. Here are some useful links for everyone to check out (feedback welcomed as well either via GitHub issues (preferably) or e-mail!):

I am really excited about what is coming with the broader exposure this is certain to gather. Great job Inductive Automation! :sunglasses:

Happy Coding, all!

Kevin C.

19 Likes

Hi Kevin . thanks a lot for your efforts which support ignition’s community .
could you please do one live stream on your Chanel to the beginner in docker which means how to run ignition docker image in pc (windidow, linux, mac)? .
how to run and connect different ignition image together? .
thanks ,
Tamer

1 Like

Hi Kevin,
Thank you so much for your efforts with a docker image for Ignition.
We have just recently started to make use of it and oh boy it is cool!

I am sitting in Europe and want to edit the timezone on the gateway running in the Docker container. How would I do that? Is there an environment variable for this or is there some other way to do this?

Thanks!

Mathias

You should set thet TZ variable to Europe/Brussels (or some other city).

1 Like

To augment @Sanderd17 correct suggestion on the TZ environment variable, draw from this listing of TZ Database Names here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

Thank you both!

MQTT stops. Requires demo reset.

I have Cirrus Link MQTT installed as instructed. It is running however I can only connect to it when I reset the demo. Everything else seams to be running. It shows the license status as valid but stops communicating after two hours. Tried it with both Sparkplug B and generic MQTT with no success. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Is 3rd party MQTT not covered under Maker edition licence?

I have Maker/Dock running on my Synology NAS. This awsome! Thanks Kevin for building this Docker image. Also running NodeRed and Mosquitto in a Docker plus Maria DB locally. It makes for a great home automation platform with RAID redundancy. Why not since it is already running 24/7. Not sure what to do with my Raspberry PI now!

Capture|690x435 .

NodeRed

DockerLogFile.html (46.8 KB)

Hi Kevin, this is a great project! I was able to get it launched on my windows machine without ever using docker before! One question I had, as I was trying to build a DB application using the SQLite DB, is how do I connect to that SQLite DB and build the database?

I tried doing some of it through ignition, but like creating a table isn’t working. I am connected to it because I see the ignition tables.

I’d like to use a windows GUI editor like DB Browser for SQLite (windows) if possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

@greg3, glad you’re having a good experience with it! For SQLite DB within Ignition, I usually recommend targeting the DB to live under the projects/ folder. I’d steer away from mixing in with the internal config.idb. Within a kcollins/ignition container, you’d point it at something like /var/lib/ignition/data/projects/foo.db. See below:

This has the advantage of being preserved within a gateway backup, which is quite handy. It doesn’t, however, solve your desire to have it accessible from your host so you can connect to it directly with a separate tool. In order to do that, you’d have to bind-mount from your host into the container. So in addition to your other arguments to the docker command, you’d have something like -v /path/to/host/folder/example.db:/var/lib/ignition/data/projects/example.db.

@RMAC, I’m realizing now that I appear to have missed your post. You should be able to run with those modules licensed in Maker mode, see my current system below:

Are you sure that your gateway is running in Maker Edition mode?

1 Like

I am an Ignition developer for large projects by day, and I am excited to see there’s a Docker image for some personal projects on my Synology. Thanks for your work on this.

1 Like

This was the easiest installation ever on Docker. Highly recommend for anyone else running Synology devices at home. Now I’m tempted to see if we can leverage Docker for our gateways at work.

3 Likes