[Docker] Set web.xml Parameters in Docker Compose

I've started to play around with the Docker image for Ignition and I've a question: is there a way to set web.xml parameters in Docker Compose? For example I need to set <max-file-size> to 41.697.640, instead of the default value. I can't find any hint about that here.
Thank you.

Look further down in the document; if you're on 8.1.10 or newer, you can pass any arbitrary gateway.xml parameters by prefixing the additional arguments with gateway., as in:

docker run -d -p 9088:8088 \
   --name ignition-test \
   inductiveautomation/ignition:8.1.10 \
   -n docker-test \
   -a localhost \
   -h 9088 \
   -s 9043 \
   -- \
   gateway.resolveHostNames=true \
   gateway.useProxyForwardedHeader=true

So I'm pretty sure you would just pass gateway.max-file-size=41697640 after the -- to begin the arguments section.

@Kevin.Collins, how'd I do? :smile:

3 Likes

Yup, you've got it! Here is the specific docs link that mentions the gateway.xml arguments.

1 Like

Thank you both!

I have another question.
How should I hash my Gateway's admin password to store it in a file that is then passed as an environment variable (GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD_FILE)?

From the docs:

GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD 	8.1.8+	Password value or salted hash to be used for initial gateway auto-commissioning.

I've tried using GatewaySec, but I cannot understand how the salted password should be input inside of the aforementioned file.

I've got a helper script for generating the proper format salted hash here:

generate-gw-password-hash-demo

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:
Then I just need to paste the string inside of the file and Ignition Gateway will automatically interpret it as a salted hash, right?

Correct, it will recognize that specific format and store it directly.

2 Likes

Ewww! You are using a timestamp to produce your salt. Consider reading eight bytes from /dev/random instead. Or mixing that in with the timestamp fed to sha256sum.

So you would simply do like this?

auth_salt="$(dd if=/dev/random bs=8 count=1)"

Not quite. You need hex characters, not the raw bytes, and with /dev/random, not /dev/urandom. That is the high-quality pool on older distros. (They are synonymous on current kernels, IIRC.)

1 Like

I've updated the gist above with revision 6. And yeah, okay to use /dev/random here which will block to ensure sufficient entropy (versus nonblocking urandom).

Revision #6 now adds a new -s salt method flag with the following options:

• timestamp - the previous usage of timestamp as input to salt
  • random - now reads 8 hexadecimal characters from /dev/random as input to salt

The random option is the new default.

5 Likes

Hmm. Eight freaking minutes from suggestion to published code.

I love this community. :heart:

8 Likes

I have a further question.

Let's say I'd like to also map a network drive. How should I manage wrapper.share.1.target=Z: parameter considering Linux doesn't use letters? Should I write something similar to wrapper.share.1.target=/mnt/custom_network_drive?

Moreover, it seems like my Wrapper arguments don't get saved inside of ignition.conf. This is my docker-compose.yaml:

version: "3.8"
services:
    # Ignition Gateway
    gateway:
        container_name: test
        image: inductiveautomation/ignition:8.1.26
        restart: unless-stopped
        mem_limit: 8192m
        ports:
            - "9088:8088"
            - "9043:8043"
        volumes:
            - gw-data:/usr/local/bin/ignition/data
            - ./backup:/mnt/backup  # Bind mount backup folder.
        env_file: ignition.env
        secrets:
            - gateway-admin-password
        command: >
            -n GDM-DEV
            -m 8192
            --
            wrapper.java.initmemory=512

secrets:
    gateway-admin-password:
        file: secrets/GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD

volumes:
    gw-data:
        name: ignition-gw-data

But ignition.conf (under /usr/local/bin/ignition/data/) looks like this:

# Java Additional Parameters
# Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.initmemory=256

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=1024

If I may, I would suggest to add @kcollins1 script to this doc page and how to map network drives on Linux to this doc page.

You will have to rethink how you expect this to work, and dedicate a "/remote" or "/mnt" folder to such network resources. You can mount windows network resources in Linux using the kernel's SMB functionality with entries in /etc/fstab. Not sure how to configure docker to do so.

Consider getting this working on a conventional Linux box or VM before trying to get it to work in docker.

The wrapper.share.* functionality is Windows-only, so it won't work on Linux (and therefore the container image).

As to JVM and Wrapper args that follow the -- delimiter in the command definition, those are intentionally treated as ephemeral overrides. We do have a ticket in our system to have the -m flag actually update the ignition.conf setting. You'd then still be able to use the JVM/wrapper args to set ephemeral values for other testing.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. So I suppose there isn't a way to share a remote network folder with the container? I think at this point I can just use a bind mount (but I've to sort out how to authenticate with the network share username and password).

It looks like there might be some options with creating a SMB/CIFS volume (and then attaching that volume to your container). I've not done it before, though. Some starting reference material here: Create CIFS/Samba volumes

4 Likes

Yep, it works. Complete docker-compose.yaml for anyone with the same issue.

version: "3.8"
services:
    # Ignition Gateway
    gateway:
        container_name: test
        image: inductiveautomation/ignition:8.1.26
        restart: unless-stopped
        mem_limit: 8192m
        ports:
            - "9088:8088"
            - "9043:8043"
        volumes:
            - gw-data:/usr/local/bin/ignition/data
            - nas:/mnt/nas
            - ./backup:/mnt/backup  # Bind mount backup folder.
        env_file: ignition.env
        secrets:
            - gateway-admin-password
        command: >
            -n Ignition
            -m 8192
            -r /mnt/backup/test.gwbk
            --
            wrapper.java.initmemory=4096
            -Dignition.allowunsignedmodules=true
            gateway.resolveHostNames=true
            gateway.useProxyForwardedHeader=true
            gateway.max-file-size=41697640

secrets:
    gateway-admin-password:
        file: secrets/GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD

volumes:
    gw-data:
        name: ignition-gw-data
    nas:
        name: nas
        driver: local
        driver_opts:
            type: cifs
            device: "//192.168.125.XXX/scada"
            o: "addr=192.168.125.XXX,username=admin,password=mildlyComplexPassword,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777"

My ignition.env file:

ACCEPT_IGNITION_EULA=Y
GATEWAY_ADMIN_USERNAME=admin
GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD_FILE=/run/secrets/gateway-admin-password
IGNITION_EDITION=standard
#IGNITION_LICENSE_KEY=XXXX-XXXX
TZ=Europe/Rome
4 Likes