Dropdown box type ahead feature doesn't like "-"

On a dropdown box, if the user starts to type the entry in the listing, it jumps to that element. It seems though when we have a listing of codes that contain a hyphen in the code, it does not go further than that point. Our codes looks something like these (G-010909-DFT, G-011009-PAL, K-010909-DFT). If you start typing ahead, you get the G, but that is as far as it goes. It appears that the hyphen in the middle is throwing it off.

I am not the most knowlegable on this type of product and problems but I will add in my two cents. In a FSQL posting their was a discussion about certain things that would not be allowed. Here is the quote. Being as you mention the hyphen and this is shown as one of the items in FSQL maybe the same exclusions are in PMI. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

[quote]Are there any with spaces, or “-” or similar characters that wouldn’t be allowed? Are there any that may be special query keywords, like “count”, “sum”, “select”, etc?

[/quote]

No - that’s a totally unrelated issue.

I had a guess, but was waiting for an answer from Carl or Travis. I don’t think the hyphen is special. The dropdown list works perfectly when you hit a character to jump to that section. I couldn’t figure out exactly what it’s doing when you type multiple characters.

I think what you’re really asking for is a component that attempts to autocomplete your text like the “address bar” in Internet explorer or the Windows “Run” window.

[quote=“mrtweaver”]I am not the most knowlegable on this type of product and problems but I will add in my two cents. In a FSQL posting their was a discussion about certain things that would not be allowed. Here is the quote. Being as you mention the hyphen and this is shown as one of the items in FSQL maybe the same exclusions are in PMI. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

[quote]Are there any with spaces, or “-” or similar characters that wouldn’t be allowed? Are there any that may be special query keywords, like “count”, “sum”, “select”, etc?

[/quote][/quote]

I think that they're asking for the dropdown's type-ahead feature to work better. In fact, they were the ones to ask for the dropdown's type-ahead feature in the first place, which is why it was added in 3.3.0.

I'm not ignoring this thread - I just don't know why its not working off the top of my head, and haven't dug into it yet.

Ok, I finally got around to this, and guess what - it works for me! Any additional hints on how to re-create this?

One question - How did the information in the database get typed in? Maybe that dash isn’t really a minus character (the character that your keyboard creates). Maybe its really a soft-hyphen, or an em-dash, or an en-dash, or a horizontal bar.

You are right. Sorry about that. Apparently it has more to do with how fast I type then what I type. If I hesitate in typing the ‘-’, then it stops there. That seems to be the same behavior with the other characters as well. If I stop typing for a second it stops the type ahead behavior. Is this by design? If so, is there a way to lengthen that time?

It looks like it was defaulting to 1 second, I bumped it up to 2. Too long and it feels weird because you think you’re typing a new string after you’ve made a selection, but its still tacking onto your last entry.

Thanks Carl. I’m sure that will be fine for our users.