Easy Chart pen group sorting

Not a big thing, but is there a way to control the sort order of the pen groups in an easy chart? Looks like it’s alphabetic right now, which is workable, but a different order more related to the equipment process would be slightly easier for the operators to understand.

1 Like

Look for the “Sort Pens” property. If selected it will sort alphabetically but when false it keeps the order of the Tag Pens dataset.

I tried that, but it looks like that only affects the pens themselves, not the pen groups. The groups still seem to be sorted in alphabetical order.

Thanks though!

My mistake, I read the question too quickly! This looks like a good candidate for ideas.inductiveautomation.com

A possible workaround would be to restructure your window and make the pens dynamic based on an equipment process selected by the operator.

No worries!

Actually, all the pen groups need to be there. It’s just that the pen group that the operators are going to care about most ends up on the bottom. Like I said, it’s not that big of a deal. If they want to change what pens they are seeing, they will just have to look around for a second to find the group they are after.

In a pinch, you could turn off the built-in pen management and replace it with a template canvas or template repeater, with a template driving dataset computed from the chart’s pens and tagPens. Then you could sort and group any way you like.

Hmm, I’ll keep that trick in mind. For this particular instance, it’s not worth the hassle. But, it might be for something else in the future. :slight_smile:

A lot of times when I want to order pen groups I’ll preface them with 1), 2), 3), etc… Then they get ordered by the numbers.

2 Likes

Hello guys I would love to add my queries on this section as I want to sort the Pens based on groups but with the help of dropdown menu. for ex. If i created a group of pens and these pens groups are created in one dropdown list then whichever group i select the easy chart will sort this for me.
If anyone has faced this problem, please let me know the solution.

It would be great to be able to choose a custom sort order.