EasyChart weirdness

I was setting up an Easy Chart in manual mode to view specific periods of time in the past. I’m noticing that sometimes the chart isn’t drawn all the way to the right side. There’s data there, if you zoom in a bit. This effect isn’t consistent, but it’s annoying when it’s present. I’ll post a few pictures to show what I’m seeing.

Expected output:

Example of missing data:

I have verified that the easy chart end date was set to 8:50 PM. So, it’s not the date settings that’s limiting the pens.

The above chart, zoomed in to the last half of the time period:

Now it’s showing the pens as I would expect. Zooming out redraws the chart and the pens stop short again.

Like I said, it’s more of an annoyance than an actual problem. I just ended up padding the chart time range more to be sure to display the events I was interested in. I just had to grab more data than I was expecting. The weird part is the inconsistency of the problem. I’m seeing this to various degrees, but it’s only really noticeable on around 15% of my time ranges.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

When adding the pens, can you try checking the “use fully qualified path” checkbox?

I’m actually using a Cell Update binding on the tag paths for the pens to do indirect bindings. I changed the bindings to include the historical tag provider information that would be present with fully qualified tag paths.

Before I made the change, I noticed that the charts were displaying better on their own today. Maybe it was a caching issue of some sort. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if I notice much of a difference.

Honestly, I’m not sure how fully qualified tag paths would make a difference in what I’m seeing, but I also don’t see any problems with supplying the extra information.

I’m pretty sure this is just a random display related bug.

I had a chart cutting off the lines for me this morning. I restarted my client (I had it running overnight), and pulled up the exact same chart, and it displayed correctly.

I’ve had similar problems with the easy chart where lots of random behavior occurred. I noticed that having too many data points (or a large range) was the problem. As writing this I realized that I never tried increasing client memory, maybe this helps?

Anyway, this is a very annoying behavior/bug and really made trending a pain.

Brian. Have you found any explanation or fix for this behavior? I am running into the same issue.

Nope.

As a workaround, I just padded the end of the chart with some extra time. For example, instead of a chart that would be displaying 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, I have the chart setup for 1:00 pm to 3:15 pm in the hopes that it’s the extra 15 minutes that gets cut off, not the data I want to see.

Other than that, you can train your users to zoom in to the last half or quarter of the chart to view the data. It’s there and is visible after zooming; you just can’t see it at the default zoom level.

In my case, it was a chart not many people are looking at right now, so I didn’t put a lot of effort into finding a fix.