Edge 8.0 or 8.1 on a Raspberry Pi

We have roughly 10 Edge nodes running 7.9.10 and the MQTT transmission module on Raspberry Pi 3+ around our plants and we are looking at upgrading to 8.0 or 8.1. I have installed 8.0.8 on one and 8.1.0 rc1 on our testing node and now I cannot get either one to open the designer. We are basically using the nodes as a remote PLC access and tag historian so we don’t use either the Vision or Perspective modules on the edge gateways. I’ve tried installing the different Java JRE/JDKs and nothing seems to work. I also tried the legacy launcher method and that didn’t work to launch the designer either. Hopefully I’m missing something simple. Thanks in advance for any help

If you’re trying to launch the designer on the RPi itself then it’s not going to work. You need to launch the designer remotely.

I’m trying to launch it on my Windows machine on my desk with the gateway residing on the RPi. For fun, I just reloaded the Pi with a fresh OS and Ignition load and it looks like I can get into the designer now. I’ll update if I run into further problems.

1 Like

Ok let us know.

FWIW you don’t have to mess with JRE/JDK installs on 8.x any more unless you’re trying to use the legacy vision launch script.