Edge Plugins Testing

Hello,

I see is more granular the selection of plugins in Ignition Edge 8.0.10, now we have:

• Ignition Edge Panel.
  • Ignition Edge IIoT.
  • Ignition Edge Compute.
  • Ignition Edge EAM.
  • Ignition Edge Sync Service.

I want to think that when I activate the license some of the plugins activate. But in the testing and development how I can activate o deactivate some plugins??.

Because when I go to the Modules configuration I don’t know which module goes with what plugin. Is possible to deactivate a plugin??

We went back and forth on whether to allow the plugins to function without the license. In the end, we decided that the functionality that depends on modules (for example, Vision or Perspective for Edge Panel) would work during the trial, because you can easily uninstall the modules (effectively deactivating that plugin) and it’s easy to understand if your project depends on Vision.

For the functionality that doesn’t depend on a module (Gateway scripting in Edge Compute), we decided to make that not active during the trial. While that makes it harder to develop your project in trial mode, it avoids the problem of your project suddenly not working when you apply a license without that plugin.

2 Likes

As to what module goes with what plugin:

With all plugins you get:

• OPC-UA
  • Alarm Notification
  • Tag Historian
  • various base drivers

Edge Panel adds

• Vision
  • Perspective
  • Web Browser
  • Symbol Factory

Edge EAM adds

• EAM

Edge IIOT adds

• MQTT
  • Emerson ROC
  • Snappac

Edge Compute adds

• Web Dev

Edge Sync does not add any modules.

4 Likes

Thank you :grinning:

This answers my question.

1 Like

Is it possible to remove the Edge Compute plug-in?

It seems to get installed automatically with no way to remove it.

Yes and no. Compute is made up of two things -- the virtual licensing of the WebDev module and the ability to do gateway scripting.

If you have an Edge license applied that does not include Compute (or are using Edge in trial mode), just remove the WebDev module.

If you have an Edge license that includes Compute, I guess you could remove the WebDev module and ignore the scripting capability? I'm not sure why you would pay for Compute and then not want it.

If the issue is the number of modules getting installed when you first set up Edge, we made that choice to make it easier on the user. We have five different Edge plug-ins now, each of which comes with various modules, and those plug-ins can be used in any combination. We decided to make just a single download that included all the modules -- the user can either ignore or uninstall any modules they don't intend to use. That seemed simpler than making you figure out which modules you might need for the version of Edge you decide to go with.

1 Like

WebDev is not installed. The only module I have installed is the OPC-UA module. The Edge Compute plugin still remains.

The goal is to build a simple Edge box to put on the plant floor with two NIC ports to deliver tags to a Gateway on AWS. It appears that this module and the Edge Sync services are all I need (in addition to my third party OPC-UA server).

BTW - I am very happy with the new installation method and easy selection of cost effective Edge plugins. These changes will bring the cost of a simple cloud historian way down, which lets my customer "dip the toe in the water" without much financial commitment. I can easily grow a system remotely from this base.

Glad you like the new installation method!

Could you post (or dm me) a screen shot of where it shows Edge Compute is licensed? That definitely doesn’t sound right and it would help me to recreate the issue. Thanks!

To be clear I have not yet licensed anything, that is a business decision to be made later. I am just in a development/sales mode right now. I’ll buy a license when I get a PO from my customer, but first I must demonstrate a working trial system.

I just want the Edge Compute plug removed. Having more installed than what is needed is a red flag, I would like to set this up in trial mode exactly as I intend to install it .If it matters the OS is Lubuntu v20.04 running on a VMWare virtual machine, so it was a Linux install.

Some screenshots are below, I will gladly email you any files you desire, including the entire gateway backup if you wish.

Ah, gotcha.

There’s no way to make that go away except for licensing Edge. It shows as in trial because you could run gateway scripts if you had any (although they wouldn’t be easy to load).

Sync services shows as in trial because they also will work – they don’t require any modules. That will also go away by applying a license.

1 Like

Consider getting a time-limited license for use during your demonstration period. Your sales agent at IA can help.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification Kathy.

I will do this eventually. From a sales perspective I think its important to understand the limitations/differences of trial mode, especially for issues like this. One habit I have been getting into is removing modules I don't think I need, just to prevent any surprises like this.

In my opinion adding a license should not remove functionality. Personally I would prefer the edge compute plug-in (and gateway scripting) not be enabled if the proper modules are not installed. In this particular case it's not a big problem, but it is a difference in operation between trial mode and licensed mode, which is a big red flag for people used to dealing with software companies that do this frequently.

It is a fundamental behavior of Ignition's trial mode that you get most, if not all, functionality of the modules involved. When you put the license in, you get just what you paid for.

We went back and forth on this -- this plugin is a bit unique and we think we got the best balance that we could, while knowing that we can't make it perfect for all users.

In the trial mode, you have to work really hard to have any gateway scripting with the Edge Compute plugin in trial mode. The designer doesn't show any options for gateway scripting (ie the menu item to add gateway scripts doesn't exist), so you have to purposefully import those scripts. This is exactly to help keep you from losing anything you thought would still function when a license was applied.