Editing scripts in designer

In previous versions before 7.2, when the project was in preview mode, I was able to edit the scripts with ctrl-J, but that functionality seems to have disappeared. Was that an oversight, by design, or is it some kind of option setting now?

It was very useful to be able to do that, and sped up development quite a bit.

I saw there was a new version as of yesterday. Was the above issue addressed? Or will it stay this way now? My coding productivity is taking a real hit, and was just wondering. :slight_smile:

Also on the useability front, I can’t move containers in the designer anymore. In earlier versions, there was a handle in the center of the container that I could grab and drag it around. Now I can only move them with the up/down, lef/right arrows. Does anyone else see this?

Hi
I noticed this during beta testing. See the response from Carl on it

Regards

Aidan

[quote=“Carl.Gould”][quote=“aidamcg”]Hi

The container component seems to be missing from the component pallet but is visible when collapsible option is selected from view menu but there is no icon. There does not seem to be a center grip handle for moving container

Aidan

Actually created a new project and it is on pallet now, was using demo project. Still seems to be a problem with moving an ungrouped container[/quote]

:scratch: Not sure why your container vanished, I think Kyle had a similar issue at one point with a palette item dropping out until he opened another project. If you see this again can you send me the contents of the Designer’s console?

As for the center handles: they’re gone! (intentionally, this time). Of course, this leaves containers in a bit of a pickle, b/c dragging in a container gives you a selection marquee. The solution is to do an Alt-drag (the status bar should give you this hint when you hover over a container). The jury is out on whether or not this change will be too confusing for users or not. I’m all ears for suggestions. I dislike the idea of having a “center handle” on a single type of component though…

FYI - doing an ALT-drag will always drag the current selection, regardless of where the mouse is. This is also handy for picking out a component that might be invisible or underneath something else and still being able to move it. Also, alt-clicking in the same spot will step you down through the z-order so you can quickly get at things underneath other things.[/quote]

Thanks Aidan, I didn’t catch that before. ALT-drag works for me.

My orginal question got lost in the thread…

In previous versions before 7.2, when the project was in preview mode, I was able to edit the scripts with ctrl-J, but that functionality seems to have disappeared. Was that an oversight, by design, or is it some kind of option setting now?

It was very useful to be able to do that, and sped up development quite a bit. I’ve gone back to developing with V7.19 for this, and would like to know if this is a permanent change.

It was an oversight before that you were able to edit event configuration during preview mode - I didn’t even realize that was possible.

That said, I can’t think of any good reason why you shouldn’t be able to edit the event config during preview mode, so I’ll put it back.

My mind is blown. I just assumed that was the right way to do it. :slight_smile: Then again, I always use keyboard shortcuts instead of right clicks or toolbars, and I must have stumbled onto it by accident a long time ago.

Thanks for putting that back in.